A FATAL car crash in which two sisters died is set to be reviewed after more than 20 years.

Margaret Kensett, 20, and her sister Lena, 25, had been given a lift home by two men after a night out at Steamers nightclub in Brighton in 1999.

The Rover 827 SLli crashed into a lamppost outside the Queen’s Hotel in Kings Road, destroying one side of the car and killing the sisters on October 22.

Sussex Police said its records of the incident had been deleted, but it has now obtained copies to review.

Parents Len Kensett, 68, and Maggie Kensett, 65, are hopeful the new information could bring them justice.

"It seems like yesterday. Why didn't the police follow it all up?” Len told the BBC. "Anger, that's not the word. It is worse than anger."

Maggie Kensett added: "It's still horrendous, it's still horrific, and I can't believe they're not here."

Lena lived in Forge Close, Portslade, at the time of her death.

Margaret lived with her parents in Foredown Road, Portslade, and worked as a secretary at a ceiling firm in Lancing.

The fatal crash happened just seven months after their 16-year-old cousin Jay died in a knife incident in Whitehawk.

In 1999, a police crash investigator told the inquest into the sisters' deaths: "The cause of the crash must lie with the action or inaction of the driver."

He said the car had been travelling "somewhat in excess of 30mph" - the speed limit on that stretch of road.

However, according to the Institute of Traffic Accident Investigators the car was likely travelling between 50 and 55mph before hitting the lamppost at about 48.5mph.

The inquest also heard the driver, and another man who was a passenger in the car, had been at the Brunswick Tavern for several hours before the crash.

At the end of the inquest, coroner Veronica Hamilton-Deeley concluded the sisters "died as a result of an accident".

The sister’s parents said they had not heard from Sussex Police in the 20 years since the inquest but will continue to fight for justice.

A police spokesman said the replacement records supplied by the coroner's office would allow them to review the case following an investigation by the BBC.

"Records held by Sussex Police of this fatal crash investigation in 1999 would have been deleted after ten years in the absence of a prosecution, in compliance with national policy,” he said.

"However, we now understand that the Brighton and Hove Coroner's Office have retained copies of police material relating to the case.

"These have now been supplied to us and we are reviewing them to establish whether or not any further steps could or should be taken."