THE BODY of a missing woman swept away by the tsunami in Tonga has been found, her brother has confirmed.

Brighton-born Angela Glover disappeared after the eruption of an underwater volcano triggered a tsunami.

In posts on social media, her family and friends said Angela and her husband James Glover were hit by the 1.2m (4ft) waves, but only James was able to cling on to a tree.

The 50-year-old is believed to have been swept away along with her dogs.

Angela’s brother Nick Eleini said the family is "devastated" and has asked for time for the family to grieve.

He said: "Angela and James loved their life in Tonga and adored the Tongan people, in particular the Tongan love of family and the Tongan culture.

 “I understand that this terrible accident came about as they tried to rescue their dogs.

“As you can imagine, her family is devastated. And we respectfully request that we are given privacy to grieve.

Angela co-managed a tattoo parlour and ran a dog rescue centre in Tonga's capital Nuku'alofa.

Her brother added: "During their time in Tonga, they have become well loved by locals and expats alike.

"James, who is a highly skilled tattooist, started a tattoo shop called the Happy Sailor. He employed local Tongans and taught them the skills needed to become tattooists.

"Angela has always had a deep love of dogs and so started an animal welfare charity called Tonga Animal Welfare Society. Its aim was to provide shelter and rehabilitation to stray dogs before trying to find homes for them.

"From a little girl, it was always Angela's dream to swim with whales and it was Tonga that gave her the opportunity to fulfil these dreams."

The tsunami was triggered by an underwater eruption on Saturday, which could be heard more than a thousand miles away in New Zealand.

Aid organisations say up to 80,000 people on the islands could be affected by the disaster, but so far no deaths have been reported.

Nick previously told the Guardian he had grave concerns for Angela’s safety.

“What are we, 48 hours later? I don't think this is going to have a happy ending,” he said.

"James was able to cling on to a tree for quite a long time, but Angela was unable to do so and was washed away with the dogs, I think four or five dogs.”

Mr Eleini, who lives in Sydney but is travelling to Hove to be with his mother Jennifer, said the couple were housesitting when the tsunami hit.

"James went back to their proper house on the south coast of the island, but Angela didn't turn up. James contacted the police and the British embassy there, where he was able to notify us of what happened," he said.

Mr Eleini added: "I can't even believe the words are coming out of my mouth, to be honest."

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said communications are limited with Tonga.

"Nuku'alofa is covered in thick plumes of volcanic dust but otherwise conditions are calm and stable," she said. "We have not yet received news from other coastal areas."

Ms Ardern later said the main undersea communications cable was affected, most likely because of the loss of power.