DOZENS of people gathered to pay tribute to a man who died after being hit by a police car.

Flowers, cards and bottles of beer were left around the signpost of Bramber Avenue in Peacehaven, near where Arthur Holscher-Ermert died after being hit by a police car on Saturday.

People gathered to pay their respects to the 27-year-old, who was struck by the BMW at around 11.10pm near the junction of Dorothy Avenue at the A259.

Karl Holscher-Ermert, Arthur’s older brother, thanked the crowd for attending yesterday afternoon. He said “none of it adds up” and he “want answers” from Sussex Police.

The Argus: Karl Holscher-Ermert paid tribute to his younger brother ArthurKarl Holscher-Ermert paid tribute to his younger brother Arthur

He said Arthur was going to a nearby fast food restaurant when the accident happened.

The 30-year-old, from Newhaven, told The Argus: “It’s beyond belief. It’s like something out of a movie, none of it feels real. It doesn’t make any sense how he has ended up dead.

“We will pursue it, we will go as long as it takes and get to the bottom of it.

“I want to know what’s happening with the investigation. What I have been left with is a dead brother and a 15 grand funeral bill. Nothing from the police.

The Argus: Arthur Holscher-Ermert died on Saturday nightArthur Holscher-Ermert died on Saturday night

“He knew so many people. He had so many friends' children in his heart, he would buy them trainers. A lot of people where we come from don’t have a lot of money but he had a heart for the community.

“He always has had a really kind heart. Unfortunately his girlfriend who has two young children can’t be here today. They are absolutely devastated, not a single police officer has seen them yet. They’re still at home in pieces.

“I want answers and we’re not getting them.”

A witness who saw the crash said the police cars were “in a chase”.

The Argus: Dozens of people came to pay their respectsDozens of people came to pay their respects

A Sussex Police spokesman said “despite the best efforts of paramedics and responders, he died at the scene”.

A section of the A259 South Coast Road was closed in both directions for the investigation but was reopened on Sunday morning.

Sussex Police said the incident has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) which will carry out an independent investigation.

The Argus: Recovery after the incidentRecovery after the incident

Chief superintendent Jo Banks said: “This is a tragic incident and we are fully supporting the IOPC investigation. We want to thank drivers and residents for their patience while the A259 South Coast Road was closed.”

Police also urged anyone with information or dash cam footage of the incident to email quoting Operation Ambleside.

Sussex Police were approached for further comment.