HUNDREDS gathered this afternoon for the funeral of a man who died after being hit by a police car.

The service was held at Downs Crematorium in Bear Road, Brighton with around 250 people attending in 28C sunshine.

It was for Arthur Holscher-Ermert, 27, who died at the scene after being struck by the unmarked BMW on April 30 near Bramber Avenue in Peacehaven.

The funeral procession went past the site of Arthur’s death, Bramber Avenue, as well as John Street Police Station in Brighton before the service where cars honked their horns.

The Argus: The procession enters Downs CrematoriumThe procession enters Downs Crematorium

Older brother Karl, 30, paid tribute to his brother, while family members from Germany and Arthur’s father Jens Ermert also addressed those attending.

Karl said to the crowd: “Arthur had a big heart, he affected many of your lives, as we all know. We came as a pair.

“Our hearts are broken at the moment, I’m sure a lot of you in this room are just as angry as us. But this day is all about Arthur and him growing up with all of you and experiencing his life with you.

The Argus: Arthur's friends and family take his coffin into the crematoriumArthur's friends and family take his coffin into the crematorium

“We knew the soul he was, he might have been 6’4” and a bit of a big fella but he had a heart of gold. We all know that.”

Arthur was a passionate musician and even studied it at university.  His family played his rap music when the procession arrived and also during the service.

The service ended with Eine Kleine Trauermusik which translates to “a little mourning music”. It was played by Corey Wickens on violin as people said their final farewells to Arthur.

The Argus: Arthur, left, and Karl, right, with friends before the Euros final last summerArthur, left, and Karl, right, with friends before the Euros final last summer

Karl added: “In his final years, it was hard for him since our mum died. It was a struggle, he was in a dark place. He was just finding his way out of there and finding his way to the light.

“He was finding light where there was darkness, he has been taken from us. But we have to keep moving, today isn’t a goodbye.

"We will see him again, he’s in a better place than here. This world has been so cruel to not only him but all of us. It’s not a peaceful world we live in.

The Argus: Arthur's hearseArthur's hearse

“This should have been my best man when I married in the future, when I have kids and when he had kid. I will never get that chance, nor will any of you.

“What gives me strength is that he had the chance to be with a lot of your children and they know who he is.

"We have the dogs which me and Arthur raised, you will always see them about in Newhaven and hopefully that will be a reminder that Arthur is still here.”

The Argus: The crowd outside the crematoriumThe crowd outside the crematorium

Reverand Betsy Gray-Hammond, who led the service, told The Argus: "There was so much love and grief in that room, it was so tangible you could almost touch it.

"I don't think I have seen such a varied congregation in my life. It was obvious how much Arthur meant to them and how much he is going to be missed by friends and family. 

"Today has been all about dignity, respect and helping family and friends to find some peace and hope in a very dark time."

The Argus: The order of serviceThe order of service

Arthur, from Newhaven, was in a brief chase before getting out of his car and being hit by the police car.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct is investigating Arthur’s death. The driver of the unmarked police car is under criminal investigation for the offence of causing death by dangerous driving. He has not been arrested.

The family laid flowers back at Bramber Avenue in Peacehaven after the service.