A man who died of a heroin overdose at a hostel was filmed on CCTV being left in a corridor by another resident, an inquest heard.

Stephen Mackrill, 35, was found dead at the YMCA, in Old Steine, Brighton, on the night of February 24.

Staff at the hostel described him as "bubbly and well-liked".

His body was discovered by staff at about 9.20pm during a routine check of the premises, which houses homeless and vulnerable people, in a corridor leading to a fire escape.

When the hostel's CCTV was viewed it showed Mr Mackrill being carried by another resident, who was been charged with supplying him with the heroin.

The inquest heard yesterday that Mr Mackrill, who was born in Brighton the youngest of ten siblings, had a long-term alcohol problem and also admitted taking at times illegal drugs, including heroin.

A post mortem showed at the time of his death he had been drinking alcohol and had taken a high level of heroin by injection. He had also taken Valium and other anti-depressant drugs.

It was estimated he had been dead for at least seven hours when his body was found.

The court heard that after his death another resident told police Mr Mackrill had come to his room where they had taken heroin together the day before the body was discovered.

He told officers they had injected themselves and not each other.

Detective Sergeant Sarah Gillies said the man was arrested and has been charged with supplying class A drugs.

She said the CCTV footage showed Mr Mackrill being carried by the man at about 11pm the day before he was found. She said: "On the CCTV I saw another resident carrying him down a stairwell and then coming back without him.

"He was arrested and interviewed. He has given an account in relation to the fact they took heroin together the previous afternoon.

"They had been together at some stage in the afternoon when they had taken heroin and he had left Mr Mackrill. He said Stephen had brought it and had shared it with him. As a result of the way in which he described how the heroin was split he had been charged with supplying class A drugs.

"He said he left the room shortly after and he returned sometime later and found Stephen unconscious in his room. He said when asked why he did not alert anybody that he did not want to get into trouble. He said he put him there because he knew he would be found."

Dr Karen Henderson, assistant deputy coroner, said the circumstances of how he came to obtain the heroin were outside the jurisdiction of the inquest and were for another court to deal with.

She recorded a verdict of death caused by accidental overdose of heroin complicated by alcohol and other respiratory drugs.

Ms Henderson said: "The combination of heroin on top of the alcohol and other drugs would have compounded the affect of the heroin. We also know he was on occasion, if rare, a user of heroin.

"He had tried to reduce his alcohol intake and had been keen to continue to move away from alcohol but suddenly, it was not be be."