A vigil has been held to honour a man who was fatally attacked outside a nightclub as his family called on police to reinvestigate his death.

Jay Abatan, 42, was attacked outside the Ocean Rooms nightclub in Morley Street, Brighton in January 1999 and died five days later of his injuries.

Now, on the anniversary of his death, his family have come together outside Brighton Police Station in John Street to “put pressure” on the force to “do the right thing”.

Michael Abatan, Jay’s brother, who was with him when he was attacked, said: “I want justice for my brother. I promised him 24 years ago that I was going to try and get justice for him and still today I can say that Sussex Police cannot find it in themselves to get justice for Jay.

The Argus: Jay Abatan died on January 29, 1999Jay Abatan died on January 29, 1999 (Image: The Abatan Family)

“Last year we had a witness come forward and I gave them the evidence and that was quite a compelling witness.

“This vigil just shows that 24 years after Jay’s death people are still thinking of him and they want justice for him.”

Jay’s sister, Michelle, added: “We hope the police help us get justice for us as a family so that we can be at peace and celebrate his life knowing that justice has been done for the unlawful killing of a man.”

Michael added that the family is due to have a meeting with Sussex Police this year but that they had been told there was insufficient new evidence to further the investigation into Jay’s death.

The Argus: Jay Abatan's brother and sister Michael, right, and Michelle, leftJay Abatan's brother and sister Michael, right, and Michelle, left (Image: The Argus)

Jay Abatan died after he was attacked as he waited for a taxi after going out to celebrate a promotion at work.

At an inquest into Jay’s death in 2010, a coroner recorded a verdict of unlawful killing.

Despite investigations, no one has ever been convicted in relation to Jay’s attack. Two men stood trial charged with affray and causing actual bodily harm but were found not guilty.

Retired Chief Constable Nick May previously said the force has “apologised publicly and often for failings in 1999”.

The Argus: Michael Abatan speaking at the vigilMichael Abatan speaking at the vigil (Image: The Argus)

He said the force had “completely updated and reorganised the way it investigates crimes" since the case.