Voters from across the county will elect hundreds of councillors in the upcoming local elections.

Residents from almost all parts of Sussex will go to the polls to elect some 414 representatives for councils from Wealden to Worthing.

Nine councils are holding elections for all their members, namely Arun, Brighton and Hove, Chichester, Eastbourne, Lewes, Horsham, Mid Sussex, Rother and Wealden.

Another two councils, Crawley and Worthing, will elect a third of their councillors for their area.

The Conservative Party is the largest party on many of the councils in Sussex, including Lewes, Horsham and Mid Sussex.

However, the Tories only currently have control of five of the councils with elections this year, holding either majority or minority control in Arun, Chichester, Horsham, Mid Sussex and Wealden.

In Worthing, Labour will be looking to solidify their control of the council after wrestling power last year for the first time in the party’s history.

The UK’s only Green-led administration in Brighton and Hove is hoping to retain control of the council, but faces a battle with Labour, who are campaigning to win a majority of council seats.

Elsewhere in the county, the Conservatives will be aiming to retain power in Arun and Chichester, where the party is in only minority control.

Elections will not be held for Adur District Council and Hastings Borough Council this year.

This year’s local elections are seen as one of the last major tests for the Tories and Labour ahead of the next general election, which is anticipated to take place next year.

Several parts of Sussex, including Crawley and Worthing, are seen as crucial constituencies Labour would need to win in order for the party to return to government for the first time in more than a decade.

Residents from across Sussex will go to the polls in nine weeks' time on May 4.

In a change for voters in the county, people will need a form of photo identification in order to cast their ballot at a polling station on election day. Those without a suitable form of ID can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate through the government’s website.