Dog owners have been warned after rat poison was found at a tourism hotspot.

The “suspicious-looking” pellets were found in a roadside car park at Beachy Head, near Eastbourne, on Monday.

The rat poison was found on Monday morning and cleared up but more pellets were found again later that day.

Sussex Police have been made aware.

The Argus: Beachy Head West car parkBeachy Head West car park (Image: Google Maps)

A spokesman for Eastbourne Borough Council said: “We have now dealt with two separate incidents of rat poison in the Beachy Head West Car Park.

“It appears that the pellets were intentionally left in the layby, which is obviously a cause of significant concern. We are liaising with Sussex Police.

“We continue to check car parks around Beachy Head and have installed warning signs.

“Dog walkers and parents with small children should be alert when visiting this area of the downland at this time.”

The Argus: Dog walkers around Beachy Head have been warnedDog walkers around Beachy Head have been warned (Image: The Argus)

The pellets were found in Beachy Head West car park.

Pellets were not found at any other car parks in the area.

The council said it is undertaking regular checks of the car parks in the vicinity of Beachy Head and have been advising people to remain alert. 

Council officers are urging people to call their vet immediately if their dog comes into contact with the pellets or to call them on 01323 410000.


A Sussex Police spokesman said: “Police received a report of harmful substances found in Beachy Head car park on Sunday, April 2 and Monday, April 3.

“We remain in contact with Eastbourne Borough Council around the issue in order to share intelligence and identify any lines of enquiry.

“Neighbourhood policing officers are aware and will continue to maintain a vigilant presence in the area as part of their daily patrols.”

Signs that suggest a dog may have eaten rat poison are:

  • Weakness and lethargy.
  • Vomiting or coughing blood.
  • Nose bleeds.
  • Bleeding from the gums.
  • Bleeding when doing the toilet.
  • Blood in stools.
  • Bruising.
  • Breathing difficulties (caused by bleeding into the lungs).