A man has told of his horror at waking up to a fire which destroyed all his belongings and left him homeless.

Robert Jamieson was having an afternoon nap when he was suddenly alerted by the fire alarm screeching.

His flat in Sackville Road, Hove, was thick with smoke and a pouffe had gone up in flames. He later discovered the blaze was caused by a faulty phone charger.

Panicking, 57-year-old Robert got up from the sofa and ran to his back window but realised it was too high for him to jump.

He had to feel for the walls to make his way to the door because the smoke was so thick and he was trying not to breathe it in.

The Argus: 'I lost my home and everything I own,' said Robert'I lost my home and everything I own,' said Robert (Image: Amber Jamieson)

He escaped in just his boxer shorts after managing to push open his door.

“I lost my home and everything I own,” Robert told The Argus.

“Every time I lie down it comes back to me. The horror of waking up to a fire alarm as your home is being engulfed by flames.”

Robert fell down the stairs as he escaped from the flat. Moments later, he heard a loud bang as he made his way out of the building.

“There was a sort of explosion as his velux windows began to melt,” said his daughter Amber, who lives nearby.

She had been alerted to the fire by her cousin who happened to be driving past Robert's flat at the time and saw smoke billowing from the building.

Amber said: “I was terrified, I couldn’t get hold of him and I didn’t know whether he had made it out alive.”

The Argus: The flat was thick with smoke when Robert woke from a napThe flat was thick with smoke when Robert woke from a nap (Image: Amber Jamieson)

Robert was taken to hospital but was “unscathed” apart from some breathing issues related to smoke inhalation.

But all his belongings, including his mobile phone, were burned beyond recognition.

Following the blaze, which erupted on May 16, Robert and Amber want to raise awareness about the dangers of electric wires.

“It is so frightening that this can happen from just a phone charger,” said Amber.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was called to tackle the flames.

The Argus: Robert Jamieson is now living with his daughter until he can be rehoused by the councilRobert Jamieson is now living with his daughter until he can be rehoused by the council (Image: Amber Jamieson)

Fire engines from Preston Circus, Hove, Roedean, Lewes and West Sussex were sent to the scene supported by the command unit and aerial ladder platform.

Robert is now living with Amber, also in Sackville Road, until he can be rehoused.

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove City Council said: "Following the fire in Sackville Road a number of people asked us for help with finding alternative accommodation.

“Our housing team has supported everyone who contacted us.

“When people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness make a housing application to the council, our homelessness prevention team always works to help them find accommodation that is appropriate to their needs.”

Robert’s daughter is also fundraising to be able to pay for some of his belongings to be replaced.

  • Those interested can donate to the fundraiser here https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-for-robs-burnt-home