Firefighters had to break their way into a council building to extinguish a blaze on the second floor of the property.

Six crews from across East Sussex used thermal imaging cameras and fans to ventilate St Mark’s House in Upperton Road, Eastbourne and fight the fire in the early hours of this morning.

The fire took place on the second floor of the building which is owned by East Sussex County Council and houses children’s services. Ambulance and police teams also attended the incident.

An East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “At 12.21am we were called to reports of a fire on the second floor of a commercial building on Upperton Road, Eastbourne.

“Crews from Eastbourne, Pevensey, Seaford, Herstmoncuex, Healthfield, Bexhill and Hailsham attended the incident along with three officers.


“On arrival crews used forceable entry tools to gain access. In total, 12 breathing apparatus wearers entered the building using two hose reel jets and two thermal imaging cameras to locate and fight the fire.

“Crews later used a fan to ventilate the property, leaving the scene at 3.14am.

“The cause of the fire is deemed to be accidental. Police and Ambulance were also in attendance. There were no reports of casualties.”

According to the council’s website, St Mark’s House “is the main office for our Children’s Services for under 18s and their families”.

The council has been approached for comment.