There was a major emergency service response while a controlled explosion was carried out in the city. 

The incident began at around 3.15pm in New Church Road, Hove when police came to respond to a report of a "suspicious package".

Police created a cordon around the road and several other streets were closed. 

Some residents were evacuated from their homes.

More and more emergency services arrived on the scene, including a car from East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, ambulances from South East Coast Ambulance Service and more police.

A police dogs car also attended.

At around 4.30pm, a bomb disposal unit, run by the British Army, arrived at the scene.

A bystander told The Argus: “We were sat by Westbourne Villas and heard a big bang. We saw bomb disposal go in earlier so they must have blown up something.”

The synagogue in New Church Road was inside the cordon.

At around 4.45pm, a spokesman for the synagogue said: "Police have informed both The Brighton and Hove Hebrew Congregation and BNJC that it is safe to stay put. We do not know when the cordoned off area will be taken down."

Elderly residents were evacuated with the help of police officers and some said they were told the incident could take “quite some time” to resolve.

Three Brighton and Hove Buses that use New Church Road as part of their route were on diversion for three hours.

At least two blocks of flats were evacuated.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service assisted Sussex Police, the lead emergency service on the incident.

During the incident, a spokeswoman for the service said: "ESFRS is working alongside Sussex Police, responding to an incident in the Westbourne Villas area of Hove."

A spokesman for Sussex Police said:"We responded to a report of a suspicious package in New Church Road, Hove, on Friday afternoon, August 18.

"A cordon was in place in the area closing a number of roads and small number of residents were evacuated from New Church Road.

"The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) unit attended the scene and carried out a controlled explosion. The area was declared safe and the cordon has been lifted and the roads re-opened."

Chief Inspector Andy Saville said: “Thank you to everyone affected this afternoon for their patience whilst we investigated and made sure the area was safe. As a matter of process, a controlled explosion was carried out. We will always respond to such reports and we remain committed to protecting our communities.”