A dad who took his own life was left dead in his flat for five days, an inquest heard.

Jeffrey Jones was found dead by his landlord on May 4 this year in his flat in College Gardens, Kemp Town, Brighton.

In an inquest into his death at Woodvale Coroner’s Court, Brighton, on October 18, the coroner concluded that Mr Jones, 64, had died from a prescription drug overdose on April 29.

Mr Jones, a retired celebrant and lay preacher at Unitarian Church in New Road, originally from Redcar, North Yorkshire, “loved Brighton where he ended up living and enjoyed the diverse and inclusive community the church gave him,” his family said.

The Argus: Unitarian Church in New Road, BrightonUnitarian Church in New Road, Brighton

Paying tribute, his sister Samantha Sheperia, and his brothers Christopher and Steven Jones, said their brother, known as Jeff, was an “intelligent and thoughtful man”.

The 64-year-old had a “sharp sense of humour”, his sister said, and had read American Studies and French at the University of Warwick.

Mr Jones had a wide variety of jobs and lived all over England, working as a youth leader in Sheffield and for the Terrence Higgins Trust, a charity which campaigns about and provides services relating to HIV and sexual health.

He loved his two children and the rest of his family, his siblings said.

Mr Jones had suffered from a chronic inflammatory condition called sarcoidosis for around 15 years which was steadily worsening.

“He found his tiredness and low energy depressing,” his sister said.

The celebrant had to retire in 2021 due to his worsening health and also suffered from a deviated septum which caused him problems with his sleep.

This, along with financial difficulties, meant Mr Jones struggled with his mental health.

The court heard how Mr Jones had withdrawn from his family in the months leading up to his death.

In written evidence, Sussex Police confirmed they were called to his home in the morning of May 4 this year by the landlord.

Ambulance crews arrived shortly after and declared Mr Jones dead.

Police said there was no third-party involvement and no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.

Concluding the inquest, assistant coroner Gareth Jones said the 64-year-old had died by suicide.

Samaritans (116 123) operates a 24-hour service available every day of the year. If you prefer to write down how you’re feeling, or if you’re worried about being overheard on the phone, you can email Samaritans at jo@samaritans.org.