A man has been jailed after holding a pillow over an 89-year-old’s face and stabbing him in the neck.

Lee Tidey, 24, carried out a “planned attack” after breaking into the man’s home and grabbing a pillow ready to smother him.

He then lay in wait and when the man came upstairs late at night he attacked him, stabbing him in the neck with a “sharp object" thought to be a screwdriver.

A jury at Lewes Crown Court found Tidey guilty of attempted murder.

Sentencing him to 23 years in prison, Judge Christine Laing KC described the attack as “truly terrifying”.

The Argus: Police at the scene in Henfield in FebruaryPolice at the scene in Henfield in February (Image: Sussex News and Pictures)

When the man’s 60-year-old son heard the commotion, he went upstairs to investigate. Tidey then pushed him down the stairs and stabbed him too.

The court heard that Tidey, of North Mead, Henfield, who was 23 at the time, had been under the influence of cannabis.

In victim statements read to the court, the father and son both said they were still in pain from the attack at their family home in Henfield Common South.

The father said he had trouble sleeping upstairs afterwards and had been sharing his son’s room to be able to sleep.

They said they had not been able to work after the attack and had been living off their savings.


To have access to all of our best stories subscribe to The Argus here

Andrew Stephens, defending, described the attack as a “burglary gone wrong” and said the weapon had been used “in the most brutal way”.

He said Tidey had previously suffered from Tourette’s and ADHD.

Tidey waved to the public gallery as he was taken to the cells after being convicted of attempted murder and wounding with intent.

The Argus: Lee TideyLee Tidey (Image: Sussex Police)

He had pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis and burglary.

Sussex Police DS James Holmes said: “This was a terrifying experience for the two victims, one of whom was nearly murdered in his own home by Lee Tidey.

"Due to the brave actions of both victims, they managed to call police and distance themselves from Tidey, who was soon apprehended by police officers with injuries linking him to the crime scene. Both victims thankfully made a full recovery from the injuries they sustained.

“In crown court, Tidey tried to twist the truth as to what had happened and denied any accountability as to the events of the night. Thankfully the jury saw through these false accounts and he has now been given a significant custodial sentence which he will serve behind bars where he can cause no further harm."