A teen who attacked a stranger in the street with a five-inch knife has been found guilty of attempted murder.

Thomas Waeling, now 18, was 17 years old when he chased and stabbed 50-year-old Sarah Taylor.

She had been walking back from Lidl with her shopping bags.

The jury, who deliberated over three days at Lewes Crown Court, found Waeling guilty of attempted murder in a majority verdict.

One of the 12 jurors found Waeling not guilty.

The Argus: Forensics teams at the scene of the incident in May this yearForensics teams at the scene of the incident in May this year (Image: Sussex News and Pictures)

During the trial, which took place from November 7 to November 14, the court heard how Ms Taylor was stabbed multiple times in the arm and once in the chest, puncturing her lung.

She had to be airlifted to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

After the unprovoked attack, which happened near Bohemia Road, Hastings, at 8pm on May 15, Waeling dumped the knife in some bushes nearby.

The Argus: A police cordon in Bohemia Road, Hastings, at the time of the incidentA police cordon in Bohemia Road, Hastings, at the time of the incident (Image: Sussex News and Pictures)

He had admitted to causing grievous bodily harm and having a knife but denied attempted murder and previously said he had mistaken Ms Taylor for someone else.

Prosecutors had said the teen had grabbed “the biggest knife he could possibly find” and was intent on using it to stab “anyone”.

Waeling, wearing a shirt and tie, put his head on the table when the jury foreman delivered the verdict on Tuesday morning.

He rubbed his eyes and sniffed as Judge Christine Laing QC thanked the jury for their attention during the trial.

She added that she had ordered a pre-sentence report to be carried out and taking into account Waeling’s young age and his lack of previous convictions.

“Ultimately it will be a substantial sentence but any report I get now will help the prison service to ensure that he gets the help he needs,” said Judge Laing.

Waeling was asked to stand and, looking down, nodded as the judge told him what was to happen.

“Please cooperate with the reports, it can only be to your benefit,” Judge Laing said.

Waeling was remanded into custody and will be sentenced on January 26.