The Keep, Brighton’s archive and historical centre, is marking ten years since first opening to the public.

The archive, which cost £19 million to construct, stores and conserves the public records of the East Sussex Record Office, the University of Sussex Special Collections and the Royal Pavilion and Museums Local History Collections.

Archived copies of The Argus dating back more than 100 years are also housed at the centre.

The centre in Woollards Way, which features documents dating as far back as 1101, was officially inaugurated by the late Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh before opening to the public on November 19, 2013.

The Argus: The late Queen and Duke of Edinburgh opened The Keep in 2013The late Queen and Duke of Edinburgh opened The Keep in 2013

The Keep has marked the milestone anniversary with behind-the-scenes tours, exhibits looking back at items collected over the past decade and even a magic lantern show.

Staff also created a wonky hall of wonders exhibition, with archivists choosing their favourite images from collections to add to the wall.

Anna Goddard, team manager for archive services and The Keep at East Sussex County Council, said: “We are delighted to be celebrating The Keep’s tenth anniversary this year.

“The facility has benefited from a strong partnership between Brighton and Hove City Council, East Sussex County Council and the University of Sussex, and amazing support from the public and groups including Sussex Family History Group and the Friends of The Keep Archives.

“The Keep has proved popular over the years with people researching family history, working on projects for school or university or enjoying one of the many events that take place.

“We are extremely grateful for the support we have received and look forward to safeguarding the history of the county for years to come.”