The likely cause of a fire which tore through a block of flats leaving people homeless has been revealed.

Fire chiefs say the blaze at Richard Allen Court, in Saunders Park View, Brighton, on October 3, was “likely caused by an e-bike battery”.

Firefighters from Hove, Roedean, Preston Circus, Lewes, Newhaven, Eastbourne, and Seaford were called at 6.21pm to reports of fire at the residential property. Crews used breathing apparatus, an aerial ladder platform and two main jets to extinguish the fire.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service, Sussex Police and South East Coast Ambulance were also in attendance.

Everyone was accounted for and residents were looked after at a local rest centre by the local authority.

Now, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is urging members of the public to be careful when charging their electric vehicles.

READ MORE: Brighton man desperate to return after Saunders Park View fire

The advice is as follows:

Storage – Try to store e-bikes and e-scooters outside in a garage or shed, if you have to keep them indoors make sure you store them away from escape routes, do not block any exits.

Do not overcharge or charge the vehicle unattended or while you sleep.

Overheating - Batteries can be damaged by dropping them or crashing e-bikes or e-scooters. Where the battery is damaged, it can overheat and catch fire without warning. Check your battery regularly for any signs of damage.

Do not overload socket outlets or use inappropriate extension leads.

Buy from a reputable seller – products bought from online marketplaces may not meet UK Safety Standards and may have hidden damage.

Escape plan - Preparing and practising a plan of action will help you act quickly if there is a fire in your home - it could even save your life. Make sure you have working smoke alarms and in the event of an e-bike, e-scooter, or lithium-ion battery fire – do not attempt to extinguish the fire. Get out, stay out, call 999.

Register your product with the manufacturer to validate any warranties – batteries are usually included in warranties. Registering makes it easier for manufacturers to contact you in the event of safety or recall information.