A heartbroken mother has thanked those who rallied around her as a coroner said her son’s death following a collision involving a van was unnatural.

Bevan Rainbow died in Cumberland Road, Brighton, during the early hours of December 23 last year after he was involved in what his mum described as a “road traffic accident”. The police continue to investigate what happened after they were called to the scene at 5am.

The 26-year-old died from a head injury following a “disturbance”. Coroner Penelope Schofield told an inquest opening today (January 5) that his death was “unnatural”.

Bevan’s mother, Dawn Matthews, thanked those who have supported her in the days after her son’s death.

“My son Bevan was sadly killed in a road traffic accident just before Christmas,” she said.

“We are trying to raise some money to pay for his unexpected funeral. All money raised will go towards funeral expenses with any left over going to the charity Mind.

“I am humbled by everybody’s generosity, even from people who did not know Bevan. Just a big thank you each and every one of you.”

The Argus: Bevan Rainbow died on December 23Bevan Rainbow died on December 23 (Image: GoFundMe)

Bevan, a former Dorothy Stringer pupil, lived in Davigdor Road in Hove. Coroner's officer John Halloran said he was treated by ambulance crews after a "disturbance", the BBC reports.

A GoFundMe for Bevan’s funeral has so far raised more than £2,700. A total of 80 people had donated by Friday afternoon.

Nadja Woodason-Zeige commented on the fundraiser: “My thoughts are with you, family and friends. Sending love, strength and big hugs.”

While JP Bordais said: “Can’t even imagine what you’re going through. Sending all our love.”

And Sue Ng added: “It's a parent's worst nightmare. Sorry for your loss.”

READ MORE: Body found in Brighton road after 'serious incident'

The junction of Preston Road and Cumberland Road was cordoned off while emergency crews were at the scene on December 23.

Police later arrested a man on suspicion of murder.

Sussex Police said in their most recent statement: “A 40-year-old man from Brighton who was arrested on suspicion of murder has been released on bail with strict conditions pending further enquiries.”