A couple on trial over the death of their baby after weeks on the run "carrying her in a Lidl bag" were whispering to each other throughout their court case.

It was the first time Constance Marten and Mark Gordon sat in the dock together at the Old Bailey in London as the trial entered its fifth day. Marten was not in attendance for the other days of the trial.

The 36-year-old, wearing a flowery blouse, navy blue trousers and a silver necklace, came in carrying a stack of folders and notes. Gordon, 49, was wearing a light blue shirt and navy blue tie.

The court heard that cab drivers who picked them up late at night grew "suspicious” due to their behaviour and "concerned" when they realised they had a baby with them.

One driver ended the journey prematurely and told police about his concerns after picking the couple up.

Marten and Gordon's baby Victoria was found dead in a disused shed in Brighton on March 1.

The Argus: The couple seen on CCTV without their buggy in Whitechapel The couple seen on CCTV without their buggy in Whitechapel (Image: PA)

The court heard that they "abandoned" their buggy in Whitechapel, London.

Cab driver Abdirisakh Mohamud said he became "suspicious" after picking the couple in the early hours of January 8 last year in Whitechapel.

He said he was flagged down by a woman who asked him to take the first left. She then told him to stop and a man got into the taxi.

He became aware that they had a baby with them that was “not much longer than the width of her leg”.

Gordon asked if Mr Mohamud was “trustworthy” and then asked if there was a camera in the car.

In a written statement read out in court, he said: “I said yes even though there was not a camera because I wanted to feel safe.

“He did not look happy and asked if I was sharing the conversation.”

The Argus: CCTV footage of Constance Marten, Mark Gordon and baby Victoria in a German doner kebab shop in East Ham, LondonCCTV footage of Constance Marten, Mark Gordon and baby Victoria in a German doner kebab shop in East Ham, London (Image: Metropolitan Police)

Mr Mohamud said he asked why they were wearing Covid masks. Marten said she was a Muslim and it was a hijab, the court heard.

“At this point I decided I was not willing to continue the journey. I had an uneasy feeling.”

Mr Mohamud accepted £20 in cash despite the fare being £30. He dropped them off in Green Lane, Enfield.

He said: “The more I thought about it the more I felt concerned for the baby. I did not know whether to call 999 as I didn’t know if it was an emergency.”

The court heard that he saw officers and told them but they said they were busy and it was not their area. Mr Mohamud received a call about a week later regarding Marten and Gordon, the court heard.

CCTV then showed Marten getting a pre-booked taxi at 1.20am on January 8.

Their driver Hasan Guzel was initially going to take them to Portsmouth but Marten asked if they could go to Newhaven while they were on the M3 which he said would require a U-turn. 

Mr Guzel thought he heard "meowing" from a cat and realised there was a baby in the back midway through the journey.

"I saw the baby on her chest. I thought why did she not tell about this?”

They arrived at Newhaven at 4.56am in "cold, windy and dark" conditions.

The couple were spotted at a Texaco petrol station in Avis Way and last seen on CCTV in Cantercrow Hill in South Heighton heading towards the South Downs.

This was the last time they were seen for four days, the court heard.

The trial continues.