Two people and a dog required treatment after a blaze engulfed the fourth floor of a city centre high rise.

Residents of Theobald House in Blackman Street, Brighton, reported seeing thick black smoke and flames coming from the window of a flat as some evacuated the property.

Fire crews responded to the fire in the early hours of the morning on Sunday and extinguished the flames. The cause of the fire is currently unascertained but multiple residents believe the fire was caused by an e-scooter battery exploding.

An East Sussex Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: “We were called on February 18 at 12.09am to reports of a fire on the fourth floor of a residential property in Blackman Street, Brighton.

“A full high-rise procedure was implemented with fire engines from Preston Circus, Roedean, Hove, Lewes Newhaven and the Command Unit in attendance with support from West Sussex.

The Argus: Damage inside Theobald HouseDamage inside Theobald House (Image: Supplied)

“Crews acted swiftly and the fire was isolated to the flat. Firefighters used breathing apparatus, three main jets and dry riser to extinguish the fire.

“Police and ambulance were also in attendance.


To have access to all of our best stories subscribe to The Argus here

“Two people were handed over to the care of South East Coast Ambulance Service and a dog was given oxygen.

“The cause of the fire has not been confirmed at this stage.”

Images from inside the high rise show singed door frames and fire-damaged hallways after the blaze yesterday.

The Argus: Theobald HouseTheobald House (Image: Supplied)

Theobald House is a high-rise block containing multiple social houses run by Brighton and Hove City Council.

The high-rise block sits above Trafalgar Street Car Park on the edge of North Laine.

The building is one of the tallest residential buildings in Brighton and Hove.