A family of five said they were terrified after their home was "devastated" by a vape which caught fire.

Hannah and Calum Boyd found a fire in their son's bedroom after a rechargeable vape burst into flames while it was being charged on a chain of extension cables.

Teaching assistant Hannah, from Brighton, described fleeing their home with her family and four dogs as the fire melted smoke alarms outside the room.

Hannah, 37, said: "It was terrifying and it has been devastating for us.

"The fire service said the vape exploded causing a series of mini fires which all merged into one big one.

The Argus: Callum and Hannah BoydCallum and Hannah Boyd (Image: SWNS)

"So many people leave things to charge on soft surfaces, you never think it will happen to you, but it's really dangerous. It destroyed our home."

Hannah said she heard smoke alarms while making dinner and her husband Calum, 39, went upstairs to investigate.

The Argus: Callum and Hannah Boyd's home was destroyed by fireCallum and Hannah Boyd's home was destroyed by fire (Image: SWNS)

After opening their son's bedroom door they found flames leaping across the room. Calum closed the door and screamed at his family to flee the house.

Fire crews said the blaze in November was caused by the rechargeable vape exploding.

The fire burned all the furniture in the boy's room and destroyed much of his wardrobe of designer clothes.

The Argus: Callum and Hannah Boyd's home destroyed by fireCallum and Hannah Boyd's home destroyed by fire (Image: SWNS)

The family stayed at a friend's house for two weeks before being given a permanent new home by their housing association in December.

Hannah added that the family "lost so much stuff that is important to us" and urged families to make sure that they charge devices such as vapes safely.

A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service confirmed they attended the blaze, adding: "The fire was found to have been caused by an overcharged vape battery.

"Rechargeable devices containing lithium-ion batteries, such as vapes, can go into thermal runaway when overcharged.

"This is an uncontrollable event that causes large quantities of highly toxic, flammable vapours to be produced in seconds, before catching fire.

"To help prevent a fire in your home, ensure electronic devices are charged on a flat, solid and stable surface away from flammable materials."

A fire service spokesman also urged residents to not leave charging devices unattended, overload extension leads or plug extension leads into each other.