A pub landlady has described the terrifying moment a van crashed into the building.

The vehicle smashed into the front of The Blacksmiths Arms in Offham, near Lewes, on Saturday night, causing the front porch to collapse.

Firefighters and police were called to the scene and the pub was cordoned off.

READ MORE: Drink driving charge for Newhaven man after Lewes pub crash.

Landlady Drixi Benjamin said: “I was behind the bar finishing off for the evening, luckily our last customers were sitting out the back. Suddenly I heard a massive crash, even the floor was shaking, it was like an earthquake, there was glass flying everywhere smashing into the pub."

The Argus: The scene following the crash at The Blacksmiths Arms near LewesThe scene following the crash at The Blacksmiths Arms near Lewes (Image: Sussex News and Pictures)

She said she ran outside with landlord Jazz Benjamin.

"We went outside with torches to warn the traffic and slow it down but the cars were driving past us like lunatics," she added.

"One driver even tried to overtake the cars slowing down. It was lucky no one was standing out the front smoking or that no one was walking past.”

READ MORE: Sussex pub closed after van crashes into porch.

The van was still at the scene on Sunday with temporary traffic lights installed. The temporary lights remained in use on Monday.

Green Party councillors now are calling for a reduction in the speed limit.

Joa Saunders, Green Party councillor for the area, said there had been four crashes in the last 12 months.

Lucy Agace, Green Party councillor for Ringmer, said: “We are urging local residents to sign a petition for 20 mph in residential areas to slow cars down. Let’s get enough people to get their voices heard so they have to take notice of us.”

A spokesman for Sussex Police said: "Police were called after a Ford Transit van collided with The Blacksmiths Arms pub on the A275, Offham, about 10.35pm on Saturday, May 11."

A 37-year-old man from Newhaven, Liam Torbett, of Southdown Road, was arrested and charged with drink driving.

He has since been released on bail and is due to appear at Brighton Magistrates Court on May 30.