Police have issued a statement following a serious incident which prompted a major emergency response.
Worth Road in Crawley was closed off yesterday evening (June 14) with several emergency services including the air ambulance in attendance.
Police have now confirmed that a six-year-old girl suffered serious burns in a BBQ fire.
A 38-year-old man also sustained minor burns.
(Image: Eddie Mitchell)
A Sussex Police spokesperson said: "Emergency services attended an address in Worth Road, Crawley on Sunday evening (14 June) after it was reported that two people had been injured in a BBQ fire.
"A six-year-old girl sustained serious burns, and a 38-year-old man was also injured, sustaining minor burns.
"Both have been taken to hospital for treatment.
"Officers attended to support the ongoing emergency response, and an increased presence currently remains visible in the area."
Several media outlets including the BBC have reported that the individuals taken to hospital are a father and daughter, although this has not been confirmed by police.
(Image: Eddie Mitchell)
A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said: “Last night we were called at 8.24pm to reports of a fire in Worth Road, Crawley.
“Joint Fire Control mobilised one fire engine to the scene.
“The crew found the fire to be out on arrival and assisted paramedics from the South East Coast Ambulance Service and the Air Ambulance Charity Kent, Surrey, Sussex with two people needing medical attention.
“The crew left the scene at 9.20pm.”
Follow live updates here.
Share