Few people can recall the Pavilion Gardens cafe in Brighton when it was not on its present site near the Theatre Royal. But as cafe proprietor David Sewell shows in this 1944 picture, it was originally on a site just north of the Pavilion itself.

The wooden kiosk was brought up to the Pavilion in 1941 by his grandfather Bert Tennent. It had previously been on the seafront.

It became too small for the number of customers enjoying its speciality of rock cakes and moved to the present Art Deco style building in 1950.

A move to close the cafe was made 20 years ago but was withdrawn after an outcry from many customers.

Mr Tennent died in 1988 but the business has been carried on by members of his family. The cafe, complete with rock cakes, reopens for the season early in March.