A paramedic will appear in court after an inquiry into whether a dying man was ignored because his house was too messy.

Karl Harris, 44, was one of two ambulancemen suspended after the death of Barry Baker, 59, at his home in Braybon Avenue, Patcham, Brighton, last year.

Mr Baker dialled 999 saying he thought he was having a heart attack, but collapsed while on the phone to emergency operators early on Saturday, November 29.

When the ambulance crew arrived at his house the landline was still open.

Police investigated claims the operators heard the paramedics making derogatory comments about the state of the house.

It has been said the crew were heard by the operators discussing whether Mr Baker was worth saving.

Harris, of Tophill Close, Portslade, and colleague Ben Stoke, 35, were arrested on December 5 last year on suspicion of failing to perform their duty in a public office.

He is due to appear at Brighton Magistrates’ Court on March 9.

Both men were also suspended from their posts by South East Coast Ambulance Service.

Sussex Police yesterday charged Harris with misconduct in a public office and doing acts “tending and intended to pervert the course of justice”.

Mr Stoke was released without charge but he and Harris both remain suspended from their jobs.

An ambulance service spokesman said: “We continue to give the police our full co-operation in this matter and are not in a position to comment further at this time.”

Unmarried Mr Baker worked at JobCentre Plus in Edward Street, Brighton, and was a regular at the Ladies Mile Pub in Mackie Avenue, Patcham.

His home had descended into squalor because his arthritis and hip problems meant he was unable to clear it up properly.

Mr Baker’s family told The Argus he was too proud to ask for help.

His cousin Philip Davy, 71, said: “He was severely incapacitated but would not let anyone in to help him.”

An inquest into Mr Baker’s death was opened and adjourned at Brighton and Hove Coroner’s Court. No date for the hearing has yet been set.