One of the most famous and best-loved landmarks in Sussex today celebrates its 110th anniversary.

The Palace Pier in Brighton opened to the public in 1899 and has held a special place in the hearts of residents and visitors since.

Click here to see a gallery of pictures from the pier's history

More than four million people visit the pier every year and its image is instantly recognisable across the world.

The Brighton Marine Palace and Pier Company built the new Palace Pier when it became clear the old Chain Pier, which opened in 1823, needed to be replaced.

When it was built, it only had a decorated archway, a platform and a few kiosks but additions over the years included a pavilion on the pier head, a windscreen running the length of the pier and a bandstand.

It was decorated in an oriental style and the Palace Pier name came about because of the Royal Pavilion close by.

When it was first built, the pier contained dining, smoking and reading rooms but it turned into a theatre and café in 1911.

Improvements were made during the 1920s when the prom was widened and the distinctive clock tower built.

The pier was forced to close during the Second World War and a section of decking was removed to prevent any attempt by the enemy to land.

After the war, the pier regained its previous popularity and Britons headed for a fortnight by the sea each summer.

Stars including Dick Emery, Tommy Trinder and Elsie and Doris Waters appeared in summer shows at the theatre up until the 1970s.

Other famous visitors over the years included Greta Garbo, Grace Kelly, Prince Edward, The Who and fashion designer Donatella Versace.

There was also an early visit from the Spice Girls in 1996 just weeks before the release of their first hit, Wannabe.

Nobody was interested in the all-girl pop group at the time but when Geri Halliwell and Emma Bunton returned to the pier on a private visit the following year they were mobbed by fans.

But the pier’s existence has not been all glitz and glamour.

In 1973, a 70-ton barge tied to the pier’s landing stage came loose in a storm and started to batter the pier head.

Parts of the theatre began to collapse and there were fears the entire structure would fall down.

However, the storm eased and the barge was removed before it could do any further damage.

The theatre was never used again.

It was eventually pulled down and replaced with a domed amusement hall in 1986.

In 1984, the Grade II* listed pier was sold to the Noble Organisation, which continues to run it.

Over the years it has expanded its opening hours and added numerous attractions and funfair rides.

But its plans have not always gone down well with Brighton and Hove City Council.

The council felt too many rides were being installed, while others were too high, but the pier owners won the cases on appeal.

The pier’s biggest crisis came in February 2003, when a major blaze broke out, sending flames shooting 30ft into the sky.

The ghost train, three other rides and decking were damaged and the insurance costs were believed to be about £1 million.

Over the years the pier has continued to draw the crowds and remains the city’s major tourism hotspot.

It is now officially called Brighton Pier, even though many in the city will always refer to it as the Palace Pier.

Leave your memories of the pier below