Skipper Dave Hemsley scored a hat-trick of tries to lead delighted Lewes on a cup rout.

The vastly experienced front row man led his side to a 46-8 home win over Brighton in the second round of the Powergen Intermediate Cup.

They are joined by Worthing as Sussex's sole survivors in the competition.

Joe Brooking kicked an early penalty for Brighton before Lewes took command.

Dave Tyrrell scored first after a Tom Saunders midfield break, with Neil Rumble converting.

Tyrrell did all the creative work before Duncan Barton finished for the second.

Then Hemsley took over, crashing through three tackles from 20 yards out to score under the posts for Rumble to convert.

Brighton No. 8 Lee Raikes was sin-binned before Matt Sole ripped the ball from a rolling maul to dive over for the fourth try, with Hemsley making it 29-3 by the break.

Sole's clever kick set up winger Liam Craig-Davies for a score before Sole scored himself.

Raikes replied with a try but Hemsley was sent over from the re-start with Rumble adding the extras.

Worthing were handed a walkover by scheduled opponents Tottonians, and their plan to enjoy a high-intensity club game at Oxford Harlequins also backfired to a degree.

Heavy traffic for the Newbury Show delayed the Worthing team and they were still settling into the game by the time Quins had a 26-point lead.

It finished 56-22 with Paul Cox scoring a try on his return from injury.

Mark Adams and Ben Coulson also crossed, with Coulson kicking seven points.

Bognor lost 50-10 to Havant but enjoyed the tussle with higher division opponents.

Two divisions separate the sides, but there were four divisions between them last season and the gulf in class was evident in terms of keeping discipline and turning pressure into points Andy Shipp scored Bognor's try with Rob Parry adding the conversion plus a penalty.

Crawley led a group of ten Sussex teams through in the Junior Vase, helped by what is being described as one of the best tries ever seen at Willoughby Fields.

Alan Maybank was the scorer as Farnham were beaten 35-23 but there was more to it than just the finishing touch.

Andy Evans started the move with a long run, then sent out a reverse pass for Rob Dowling, who was in close support.

Dowling timed his scoring pass to perfection to send Maybank to the posts. Evans' conversion put Crawley 14-7 up, Baldwin having earlier scored the first try of the contest.

A super solo score by Justin Kemp-Gee extended the lead and he later added a clever chip-and-chase score which Evans goaled.

Farnham got back to 28-23 but another astute chip through by Kemp-Gee set up Tom Anstice for the clinching try, which Evans converted.

Hastings and Bexhill came back from nine points down to beat Sheppey 12-9 through tries by Neil Redman and Thomas Brampton. Paul Sandeman added a conversion.

Uckfield cruised through 71-28 against Hellingly with Nick Ridley claiming a hat trick of tries in just 15 minutes.

Nick Crane also crossed three times with further tries for Lee Evans (2), Antony Monk, Dave Cook and Ed Gannon. There were also five conversions for Gannon plus two by Leigh Bialik. Former Uckfield junior Ben Trevorrow scored Hellingly's only try.

Old Brightonians' lively backs also enjoyed the hard ground as they beat Royal and Sun Alliance 49-17 with seven converted tries. It was not as one-sided as the score suggest as RSA cut arrears from 21-5 to 21-17 with 20 minutes to go.

James Lowe, Steve West and Andy Stephenson scored tries which put RSA back in it.

Burgess Hill hammered Edenbridge 55-11 with hat-tricks from summer signings Simon Eyre and Ben Clarke. Jon Cook, Karim Sedour and Justin Carrick also got over.

Crowborough edged through 30-25 at Pulborough but Horsham went down 32-14 at old derby rivals Dorking.

Heathfield, Seaford and Hove went though on walkovers.