Teenager Mark Goodwin was the unlikely hero as Eastbourne Borough lifted the Sussex Senior Cup for the first time in their history.

Goodwin came off the substitutes' bench to hit an extra time winner as Borough beat Lewes 2-1.

His sweet strike decided an enthralling contest watched by a crowd of 1,558, a record for Priory Lane.

However, the game was spiced with controversy as referee Lee Bonaldi awarded Lewes a penalty with the score at 2-1 and then changed his mind.

That mattered not to Goodwin. The 19-year-old has only broken into the first team this season but this precious strike was his fifth in Eastbourne's colours.

It is the stuff dreams are made of and the youngster later revealed: "I kept waking up every hour last night, thinking 'Is it time to go yet?' I was so eager. It came to today and I was on the bench, so you could say I took my chance. I am delighted.

"To be honest I thought Andy Ducille was going to let fly but there was a gap and he played it through. The keeper came out and I just chipped it in at the far post.

"I don't know what was going through my mind. Normally I panic but I kept my cool this time."

Borough manager Garry Wilson, who won the cup with Hastings Town four years ago, may have caused a few eyebrows to be raised when he put Goodwin on for top scorer Matt Allen with two minutes of normal time remaining, but Wilson had no doubts about throwing the youngster on.

The Scot said: "Mark came into the reserves at the start of the season and the reserve manager has been raving about him. We took him into the first team about six or eight weeks ago and we have been easing him in gradually.

"He has showed he can score goals and he doesn't seem to be fazed by anything. At a crucial time he has picked a lovely chip to score the winner.

"This is marvellous for the club and the supporters. It is a good reward for the season we have just had. It gives us another step forward in the building of the club.

"Lewes played well. At times it looked like two tired teams and I think we looked a bit more tired than Lewes. I was pleased in the second half how we stood and defended because we had to dig in deep."

The game came to life in the 14th minute when a dreadful blunder by Lewes keeper Ross Standen allowed Borough to take the lead. Skipper Daren Pearce let fly with a shot which was no more than hopeful but Standen fumbled it over the line. To his credit, Standen made two confident, if somewhat routine, saves after that from Dave Adams and Allen.

Lewes hauled themselves back into the contest on the half hour with an outstanding goal from 18-year-old Lee Newman. Receiving the ball in a crowded penalty area, Newman turned John Scarborough inside out before burying a shot in the far corner for his 32nd goal of the season.

Until then Borough had looked the sharper side. Their pace down the two flanks was always threatening but the final delivery was lacking.

Now the power balance shifted. Lewes took a grip of proceedings and Stuart Hack was unlucky not to put them ahead in first half stoppage time with a powerful header which Paul Stark tipped over the bar.

The second half belonged to Lewes but they could not break down a solid rearguard despite the efforts of lively front duo Newman and Sam Francis.

Goodwin restored Borough's lead in the fifth minute of stoppage time but Lewes thought they had a lifeline when John Palmer's corner was handled and the referee pointed for a penalty.

Newman had already placed the ball when Bonaldi was persuaded to speak to his linesman, Darren Eaton, then awarded a free kick to Borough.

Wilson said: "I thought it was a red hand, Jimmy (Quinn) thought it was a white hand. But it happened so quickly I couldn't be sure."

Quinn argued: "I don't know what the linesman told him but even afterwards the referee said he had seen it as an Eastbourne hand. As far as I'm concerned it was a penalty.

"I thought we were the better team but couldn't put the ball in the net."

It was certainly controversial but that should not cloud Eastbourne's triumph and a poignant day for skipper Pearce.

He said: "This is my first winner's medal. I have lost four finals and it is not a nice feeling. It is great today for the club and for myself.

"If we can be a little bit more consistent next season I think we can improve on our league position and maybe go up."

Eastbourne Borough: Stark, Baker, Tuck, Smart (Hendy 107), Stevens, Scarborough, Westcott, Pearce, Adams (Ducille 65), Crabb, Allen (Goodwin 88). Subs not used: Davidson, Lightwood.

Lewes: Standen, Dicker (Beeston 90), McCallum, Venables, Hack, Cable, Palmer (Ebanks 110), Clark (Kamara 105), Francis, Thomsett, Newman. Subs not used: Head, Patching.

Bookings: McCallum (Lewes) foul 23, Stevens (Borough) foul 32.

Referee: Lee Bonaldi (Hove).

Men-of-the-match: Pearce (Borough), Thomsett (Lewes).

Attendance: 1,558.