Striker Allan Tait scored twice to win the Sussex Senior Cup for Crawley then admitted: "Ringmer really made it tough for us".

Tait took his tally to 16 for the season with strikes in the 37th and 88th minute to see off the County League side and give Reds their second success in the competition in three years.

It was the expected outcome as Conference side Crawley are four divisions above Ringmer in the pyramid but Tait insists it was not easy.

Reds' top scorer said: "Ringmer did really well and I was impressed by how hard they made it for us.

"They came to do a job and to their credit they stuck to it. They had obviously done their homework because they frustrated us.

"Once we got the breakthrough it was a bit more comfortable but we still needed that second goal just in case.

"Everyone was expecting us to win but it is always great to actually do it. Every player wants to win a cup and we were all desperate to do it."

That was certainly evident from the way the Crawley players celebrated afterwards, dancing with their supporters and singing in the changing rooms.

But they did not have it all their own way, especially in an ugly first half. It was littered with mis-placed passes, poor ball control and rash challenges as Ringmer did their best to break up play.

It was from one of the many free-kicks which saw Tait open the scoring just before half-time with a close range header after Ben Judge had nodded Neil Jenkins' deep setpiece across goal.

Ringmer had their only clear chance of the game eight minutes after the interval when Darren Tidey eluded the Reds defence and tried to pull the ball back for the on-rushing Dominic Shepherd but Andy Little read the danger and smothered the ball.

Chris Johnson blasted a left-foot volley just over from the edge of the box moments later which proved the final threat Ringmer could muster as they tired.

Even then though, Reds were left frustrated by the inspired form of goalkeeper Ross Standen.

He produced two superb saves to deny Sacha Opinel and Paul Armstrong and when he was finally beaten on 74 minute by a neat chip by Tait, a post came to his rescue.

Standen could do nothing about Crawley's second goal which was a tap-in for Tait after Jenkins had rattled the bar with a vicious close range volley.

Crawley's victory continues manager Francis Vines' incredible Midas touch since taking charge two and a half years ago.

It was his seventh piece of silverware but he is not content and wants more success next season.

He said: "I have always said winning is a habit so, hopefully, this has given the players a taste of it and they will want more.

"We want to finish in the top ten next year and plans have already been made for the summer.

"I have made my mind up over which players will go and what sort of players I want to bring in to try and improve us."

Ringmer boss John Crumplin is also planning to improve his squad over the summer and has targeted winning the County League title next season. He said: "This was a great experience for me and the players and was great for the club.

"We are now looking to strengthen for next season because we are looking to win the title and get promotion.

"I have been assured that is the way the club wants to go so that is what I am going to aim at.

"You can see we have players who are going to work hard, we just need about four quality players to take us on."