Jailed cannabis caf owner Chris Baldwin was transferred to an open prison and then whisked back to a closed cell within hours with his privileges taken away.

Mr Baldwin, who suffers from spastic paraplegia, complained conditions at Ford Open Prison, near Arundel, were "inhumane" for disabled people like himself.

After travelling from High Down Prison, near Sutton in south London, he argued tearfully with Ford prison staff who decided to put him in a taxi and send him back to High Down.

Mr Baldwin, jailed for six months in January, has written a vivid account of his "nightmare day" and 120-mile round trip.

He was convicted at Chichester Crown Court for allowing cannabis to be used at a property, cannabis possession with intent to supply and possession of cannabis at "coffee shops" in Worthing.

Mr Baldwin, 53, who uses crutches, insists he used cannabis to help combat debilitating leg spasms.

He stood for the Legalise Cannabis Alliance in the 2001 general election and has become something of a cause clbre for pro-cannabis campaigners.

The Legalise Cannabis Alliance has called for a government inquiry into how Mr Baldwin is being treated.

Last month he went on hunger strike because he was not convinced his meals were free of animal products. Here is Mr Baldwin's account of the day he was released from - then returned to - closed conditions.

Friday, January 30, 2004:

Got up at 5.30am - finished packing and tidied up the cell. Had a small bowl of cereal for breakfast.

I was taken to reception. My stuff was searched and X-rayed and I was strip-searched. Taken to a holding room with a few other prisoners.

Put into a "sweat box" van, a small locked box-type area about the size of a cupboard with no room to move.

We set off but had to pick up two more prisoners. I was offered a non-vegan sandwich I could not eat, then given crisps. The journey took more than two hours. When we arrived I was so stiff I could hardly move.

Taken into Ford reception and waited for ages with lots of other prisoners. My stuff was searched again. I had separated my clean clothes from my dirty clothes in two plastic bags. They tipped the whole lot out and threw them back into one bag.

Strip-searched again and put into prison clothes so thin I was freezing. Told I couldn't have my radio/CD player back until next Wednesday.

The trip to our rooms was quite a long walk and the ground was slippery so I asked for a wheelchair.

Eventually one was found and I was taken to the health check-in centre.

Next I was told they didn't have a disabled cell for me and I would have to double up with another prisoner.

There was no toilet. I would have to walk about 20 yards to use the loo.

At this point I started shouting and told them it wasn't right that they were treating me this way.

I refused to go to the cell. They put me in a waiting room. I broke down. A nice orderly - a prisoner - brought me some toast and herbal tea. Eventually I was told I would have to return to High Down.

I complained that another journey in a sweat box was out of the question so they agreed to take me by taxi, accompanied by a guard, who was very nice to me.

I arrived back at High Down at about 7pm. Again my stuff was searched and so was I.

I was informed my cell was now occupied so I was put back on the healthcare wing.

I got my stereo back but no socket to plug it in and no TV.

The cell is freezing. I only have two blankets so I will have to sleep in my clothes.

It's now 11pm and I feel totally alone and demoralised.

Tomorrow I will be moved to another cell - hopefully - but I don't know where I will be put and the prospect is frightening.

I feel as though I am being punished because I am disabled. In just over three weeks, I will probably be eligible for release on a tag. So why bother to move me? My day has been a nightmare.

I have been subjected to brutal and sadistic treatment - all in the name of "justice".