A man who held a teenager hostage with a knife during a 13-hour siege has been jailed for almost four years.

The day before the siege Leon Lukins, 31, slashed out at two police officers with a blade when he was arrested for breaking into a hairdressers in Brighton.

The officers, PC Ian Upperton, 31, and PC Louise Tait, 30, escaped serious injury during a violent struggle.

Lukins, who has spent much of his adult life behind bars, managed to escape but was traced to a flat in Whitehawk.

When officers arrived in Framfield Court, Whitehawk Way, the next morning Lukins shouted from a window he was not coming out and had a hostage, a teenage boy.

After hours of negotiations, the 16-year-old left the flat and walked free.

Lukins gave himself up to police two hours later.

Lukins appeared for sentencing at Lewes Crown Court yesterday.

Jeremy Gold, prosecuting, said Lukins, of Charlotte Street, Brighton, was arrested on January 19 following a burglary in Norfolk Square.

He was traced to a flat in Sillwood Place and tried to make a bolt for the door as officers made the arrest.

A violent struggle took place and Lukins pulled a knife from his jacket and started to slash out with it.

Mr Gold said: "He was acting violently, attempting to thrust the knife in the direction of the officers."

Lukins told PC Tait, who had grabbed one his wrists: "Let go or I will f***ing stab you."

During the struggle, PC Upperton was hit on the head.

PC Tait was kicked and needed treatment for cuts to her hands and wrists.

Mr Gold said Lukins continued to thrash out and was finally restrained with Captor spray directed into his face.

But he managed to escape through a window. Police later received information he was at the flat in Whitehawk.

Mr Gold said the teenager, who was held hostage, was unharmed in the incident and did not make any complaints against Lukins that he was held against his will.

Philip Wakeham, defending, said Lukins, who has previous convictions for assault, burglary and taking cars, had a troubled childhood.

He referred to the pre-sentence report prepared by a probation officer, which detailed how Lukins had spent much of his adult life in custody.

Lukins admitted charges of burglary, assaulting the two officers causing them actual bodily harm plus assaulting the two officers with intent to resist arrest.

He further admitted handling stolen goods, two burglaries, taking a vehicle without consent, breaching bail, stealing from a car and using threatening behaviour. He was banned from driving for six months.

Judge Anthony Scott-Gall described his criminal record as depressing and dreadful.

He told Lukins his actions must have been terrifying for the officers who were only doing their job.

Lukins was jailed for a total of three years and ten months.