Three guests needed medical treatment after being rescued from their burning hostel and hotel over the weekend.

A hotel resident was dragged to safety by people in neighbouring rooms.

In a separate incident, two people were rescued by firefighters and treated at the scene by paramedics when fire gutted a room at their hostel. A further 31 guests fled the building.

The hotel fire happened at the Cambridge Hotel, Cambridge Road, Eastbourne, at 9.30pm on Friday.

The three-storey building was not evacuated and the fire was under control within half-an-hour.

The man was taken to the Eastbourne District General Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and discharged shortly afterwards.

On Sunday at 2.15am, two people were rescued from a fire in the bedroom of a hostel.

One man was pulled to safety from a first-floor balcony while another was led out of the building in Pevensey Road, Eastbourne, by firefighters.

Fire crews from Eastbourne, Pevensey and Hailsham tackled the blaze. A fire brigade spokesman said the room had been gutted by fire and the rest of the building badly smoke-logged.

Firefighters remained at the three-storey building for more than three-and-a-half hours and returned at around 8am to reinspect it for hot spots.

The cause of the blaze has not been confirmed and a fire investigation team was yesterday gathering evidence.