Paul Rogers has thanked boss Peter Taylor for standing by him after a rapid red card.

Albion's veteran midfielder feared the worst following his quickfire dismissal against Chesterfield at Withdean before Christmas.

He was sent-off by ref Andy D'Urso for two bookable offences within 11 minutes of coming off the bench as the Seagulls surrendered a 2-0 lead.

Taylor responded by recalling Rogers at QPR on Boxing Day. It was his first League start since scoring the opening goal of Taylor's reign against Oldham in October and he vindicated his return with an influential display.

He continued in the same vein at Blackpool last Saturday, where he helped set up the second goal for Nathan Jones.

Rogers admitted: "I wouldn't have thought that sending off would have helped at all, but the gaffer was as good as gold about it.

"He understood that I had been out for two months and wanted to go and show that I wanted to play.

"It is difficult coming off the bench. You have got to adjust to the pace instantly.

"I don't think the ref particularly helped us that night. When you look at the tackles they were nothing really.

"The one I got sent off for was boot on boot and it sounded worse than it was, but with hindsight I probably shouldn't have made it. It's gone now and I have just got to deal with the suspension."

Rogers would have been banned for one match in normal circumstances, but the punishment doubles because he was also sent-off for two cautionable offences at Cambridge United on the opening day.

It has ruled him out of the clash against his old club Wigan at the JJB Stadium next Saturday.

Rogers has no doubt who was to blame for the flare-ups during and after the Chesterfield match involving visiting boss Nicky Law.

Police mounted an investigation and Taylor branded Law's behaviour an "absolute disgrace".

Rogers revealed: "Apparently that is the way he (Law) is in most games throughout the season. I was talking to one of their subs.

"If that is the way he conducts himself that is up to him. It's got nothing to do with us."

The heat has been taken out of Albion's potentially explosive trip to Chesterfield later this month by Law's departure to Bradford City.

Rogers will be available again by then and battling to reclaim his first team place. He will be 37 in March, but he is not about to hang up his boots just yet.

"I will just have to try and get back in the side again," he said. "Everyone wants another contract and I'm no different.

"It's been nice to play. I'd been waiting for a while, but I had no complaints because the team have been flying.

"The two boys in midfield (Charlie Oatway and Richard Carpenter) have been playing really well, doing exactly what the gaffer wants them to, so it has just been a case of staying patient and waiting for a chance."

More chances are bound to follow for Rogers as the promotion race gathers pace.

Albion lost ground with a hat-trick of draws over the Christmas period plus the Northampton postponement on New Year's Day and Rogers expects life to get tougher for the Seagulls in the second half of the campaign.

"We are doing much better than anyone could have thought at the start of the season," he said. "If you had spoken to any of the supporters then they would have been quite happy with a mid-table position.

"Perhaps we have surprised a few teams by starting off so well. I think that was certainly the case early on.

"Sides are now giving us a lot of respect and changing their formations to play against us.

"We are not going to take any teams by surprise, so it is going to be a lot more difficult."