Fire destroyed the sitting room of a house last night after clothes and a chair near an open fire caught light.

A young couple living in the house were treated for the effects of smoke.

The fire is thought to have started because there was no guard over the fire at the house in Pondtail Road, Horsham.

Firefighters found flames shooting out of the rear windows and the patio doors.

The fire wrecked the sitting room and rest of the house was smoke damaged.

Fire investigation officers said clothing and an old chair made from flammable foam were left too close and sparks from the open fire set them alight.

The house had no smoke alarm.