Albion Reserves lifted the Sussex Senior Cup for the first time in five years but Micky Adams wasn't happy.

Instead, it was Hastings Town who cracked open the champagne after the first county cup final of the Millennium was decided on a penalty shoot-out. The Dr Martens League side outfit more than matched Albion for long periods of this game before losing 4-3 on spot kicks.

A smart save from Mark Ormerod and a poor miss by Hastings' top scorer Terry White ultimately gave Albion victory after the contest had finished 1-1 after extra time. But Albion boss Adams showed his disgust at the display but taking bubbly into the Hastings dressing room after the game.

Hastings boss Dean White explained: "Mick just came into the dressing room and said, 'Here is the champagne, you deserve it more than us'. My lads can sit back and take a few pats on the back because they have earned it.

Hastings showed no signs of having played three games in five days. They looked the sharper side in the first half, showing more imagination than an Albion side packed with experience. Albion had the ball in the net after just three minutes but Martin Ling's effort from a Danny Davis cross was ruled out for offside.

On 15 minutes a pass from Ben Andrews sent Rod Thomas clear. He went round Hastings goalkeeper Tony Kessell and shot for goal but defender Spencer Mintram recovered to block.

Despite those chances, Hastings were good value for their 28th-minute lead. A long throw from Stuart Myall caused problems and skipper Matt Ball's shot took a nasty deflection to wrong-foot Albion keeper Ormerod.

It could have been worse for Albion on the stroke of half time when Ormerod could only take the sting out of a Terry White shot and Ryan Palmer somehow cleared the ball off the line under pressure from Steve Yates.

It was a disappointing half where Albion had failed to test Hastings keeper Kessell, who was clearly struggling with a groin injury from the 20th minute. Albion threw on youngsters Chris McPhee and Kevin Hemsley for Paul Armstrong and Ben Andrews at half time and it Hemsley bagged the equaliser on 62 minutes.

Kessell failed to hold Jamie Campbell's free-kick and Hemsley touched the loose ball home from close range. But Hastings soon got back into their stride and only a fine save from Ormerod denied Duncan McArthur, who was released by Albion last season.

It was shame when McArthur limped off just before extra time because he had been the liveliest attacking player on the pitch. Albion nearly snatched victory towards the end of normal time when Scott Ramsay headed against the post from Aspinall's cross.

White spurned the best chance in extra time, firing into the side-netting after rounding Ormerod. Danny Simmonds was then the first player to fail in the penalty shoot-out, drawing a fine save from Ormerod.

Ball, Myall and Tommy Osborne were successful for Hastings, but Ramsay, Aspinall, Ling and Keith McPherson were spot-on for Albion to leave White needing to score from Hastings' final penalty to keep his side in it.

White, the regular penalty taker for Hastings, pulled his effort wide of Ormerod's left hand post and the cup was Albion's.

Albion: Ormerod, Andrews (Hemsley 45), Campbell, Palmer, McPherson, Aspinall, Davis, Armstrong (McPhee 45), Ramsay, Ling, Thomas (Hammond 70).

Hastings: Kessell, Smith, Mintram, Ball, Myall, Osborne, White, McArthur (Loft 90), Honey, Simmonds, Yates (Elford 106). Sub not used: Chamberlain.

Man-of-the-match: Matt Ball (Hastings).

Referee: Ray Upton (Crawley).

Attendance: 1,355.