PAUL Green hit a hat-trick to help Three Bridges go top of the Unijet County League division two as they crushed title rivals Mile Oak.

Bridges showed that they are equipped to make the jump to a higher level next season.

Joint boss Keith Cook was full of praise as his side extended their unbeaten run to 12 matches since he and Barry Mealand took charge.

He said: "I thought we were excellent in all departments.

"We fought well, played the ball about and took our chances superbly. It was a crunch match for us and we proved how far we've come this season.

"We only just lost to Worthing in the Senior Cup on Wednesday night, but it gave us the confidence to see that we're a match for teams who play at a higher level.

"We took that confidence onto the pitch against Mile Oak and it was reflected in the result."

The scoreline was a turn up for the books considering there was only one point between the teams before the start.

Hero Green scored his first and finest goal on the half-hour.

He latched onto a loose ball as it broke free in midfield and sped past his marker before unleashing an unstoppable drive from 25 yards across the goal and into the top of the net.

Green nabbed a second with a chip shot on the hour and capped a fine performance with a powerful header which secured his third after 73 minutes.

Bridges' other strikes came from Dave Emms, who bagged a brace, while Robbie Collins, Phil Marsh and Glen Newall scored one apiece.

Mile Oak's consolation goals came via Neil Roberts, who was his team's outstanding player.

Cook said: "We've brought in several new players and have changed the formation to a 4-4-2. It is a style that the team understands and feels comfortable with.

"There's a great spirit in the team now and everyone is playing for each other.

"This result puts us in a great position now. If we keep on as we are we will be playing division one football next season."

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.