Swansea 2, Albion 2.

It has taken him almost five years, but it was well worth the wait.

Two goals by Ross Johnson after 114 League games without even one salvaged a dramatic draw for Albion last night.

Steve Jones fired Swansea into a 27th minute lead.

Johnson headed home a deserved equaliser for the Seagulls on 55 minutes from a Paul Sturgess corner.

Steve Watkin put the Welshmen back in front with a wonder strike on 71 minutes.

But Johnson popped up again in the 86th minute to score following another corner, this time from Paul Armstrong.

The young central defender's night to remember was marred by ugly scenes after Swansea striker Julian Alsop had been sent off for a second bookable offence on 74 minutes.

Ahandful of home fans invaded the pitch and one of them tried to attack Michael Bennett before he was overpowered by stewards and police.

It was an eventful way for Jeff Wood to celebrate his appointment as manager for the rest of the season. His side's spirited stalemate maintains his unbeaten record since taking charge.

Albion started with the confidence of a side beaten only once in their previous nine away League games since their last visit to Wales against table-topping Cardiff in October.

Alively burst by Hart put Armstrong in possession in a promising position, but the young Irishman lost his footing at the vital moment.

Barker was booked after ten minutes for a clumsy challenge on Roberts just inside the Seagull's half which angered a couple of Swansea players.

Aminute later confusion between Sturgess and Mayo gifted the ball to Lacey, who fired narrowly over the bar from the edge of the area.

Watkin, best remembered for a winning F.A. Cup goal against Arsenal a few years ago while playing for Wrexham, was looking lively up front for the home side.

The Albion players felt Watkin had dived when Johnson was penalised for a tackle on him 20 yards out.

It almost proved costly as the resulting free-kick from Coates was curling into the net when Culverhouse, stationed on the post, headed it clear.

Bennett found himself in the right wingback role after Stuart Storer was ruled out by a groin injury.

Bennett charged forward midway through the half to strike a fierce left-foot volley from 20 yards which dipped just over the bar.

Albion showed again that players were prepared to break forward when Arnott escaped down the right flank to latch onto Barker's pass.

The midfielder, returning from a one-match suspension, delivered a curving cross which was well gathered by teenager Jason Jones, deputising for the injured Roger Freestone.

Swansea's other Jones, rightback Steve, broke the deadlock on 27 minutes.

Lacey picked him out in space with a square pass. The Seagulls failed to close Jones down and his low drive from 25 yards beat Walton into the bottom corner.

Swansea threatened again four minutes later when the lanky Alsop fed Watkin. He rather snatched at the chance and screwed his shot harmlessly wide.

Bennett went close to an equaliser for Albion on 35 minutes. His angled drive was deflected for the first corner of the contest when Johnson's long throw-in wasn't cleared.

Armstrong had another chance a minute later, but his swivelling half-volley from ten yards was too high.

The Seagulls' spirited response to falling behind was almost rewarded when Arnott's long-range effort took a slight deflection off a Swansea defender and struck the crossbar, with the wrong-footed Jason Jones well beaten.

Frustration got the better of Sturgess immediately after when he was cautioned for a foul on Roberts.

Alsop had his name taken just before the break for a foul on Allan as Albion continued to press forward in search of an equaliser.

Albion grabbed the equaliser they were seeking ten minutes into the second half from the unlikeliest of sources.

JOHNSON met a Sturgess corner with a downward header which went in off the far post.

It was the Brighton-born defender's first senior goal after 114 League appearances without one.

Only a fine save by Jason Jones prevented Albion from taking the lead three minutes later.

Hart found Mayo with room twelve yards out and his left-foot piledriver was parried for a corner at full stretch by the former Liverpool apprentice.

Swansea, stunned by the vigour with which Albion had pegged them back, introduced Appleby for Roberts in midfield on 62 minutes.

The Seagulls looked the more likely winners at this stage of a lively tussle, but Swansea restored their lead with a magnificent goal 19 minutes from time.

Substitute Appleby got away from Sturgess down the right before tucking a pass inside to WATKIN.

He left Culverhouse on the seat of his pants with a nifty piece of footwork and then smashed a shot into the roof of the net.

The match exploded three minutes later when Swansea striker Alsop fouled Culverhouse and was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Alsop was still protesting as Walton left his goal to persuade him to go off.

Suddenly there was mayhem as three Swansea supporters ran on to the pitch.

One of them moved towards Bennett but was prevented from getting near him by several players.

He was then wrestled to the ground and escorted away by stewards and police.

Once the incident had died down Walton, who seemed to be acting as peacemaker, was mysteriously cautioned by referee Wiley.

With order restored Allan became the fifth different player to be shown a yellow card on 82 minutes for a foul on substitute Appleby.

Albion were back on terms four minutes from time and Johnson was the improbable hero again.

Armstrong's corner was knocked back in beyond the far post by Allan and JOHNSON turned it in from close range.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.