The Independent Police Complaints Commission is to launch its own investigation into the shooting of a man by Sussex Police last night.

The 56-year-old man was shot in the hand by a police marksman at Borers Arms Road, Copthorne, at about 10.55pm.

He was recovering in hospital today.

Police had been called to the house at 10pm after a woman called to say she was being threatened by a man who had access to guns.

Police negotiators spoke to them both before the shooting.

The woman was brought out unharmed.

Sussex Police's major crime branch is investigating the incident which led to the 999 call from the house and the discovery of firearms at the scene.

The IPCC is investigating the shooting separately.

It issued a statement yesterday which said: "A firearm was discharged by police at 10.55pm and a 56-year-old man received an injury to his hand and wrist.

"Police officers gave the man first aid at the scene.

"He was arrested at the scene and then taken to the New East Surrey Hospital in Redhill for treatment.

"He has since been transferred to another hospital in south west London. At this stage his injuries are not believed to be life threatening.

"Firearms and ammunition have been found within the house but will require further examination before the IPCC can confirm what type of guns they are."

Sussex Police contacted the IPCC at 11.45pm on Monday.

An investigator went to the scene and worked overnight.

The IPCC statement continued: "More independent investigators have now been deployed to Sussex where they will examine initial accounts from all officers involved, check police logs and work to identify any witnesses.

"Other lines of enquiry will involve extensive ballistic testing and checks for CCTV in the area."

IPCC Commissioner Mike Franklin said: "Any incident where police fire at a member of the public is extremely serious and we will be scrutinising the decision-making and actions of the officers involved to examine whether they acted appropriately.”