A father was left “sad and humiliated” after being questioned by police for taking pictures of his own son in a park.

A caller rang police telling them a “suspicious” man was taking photographs of a child in a Portslade playground.

The dad was then forced to show his pictures to a policeman to prove he was playing innocently with his five-year-old son.

The 46-year-old, who does not want to be named, said he was baffled that whoever called the police could not tell he was with his child.

He said: “Surely someone watching that closely to see that I had a camera could see I was with my son.

“I just thought this is crazy and really sad.”

The pair had gone to the playground on Saturday morning when police were called at about 11am.

The dad is a member of a photography club and was practising taking pictures of his son running and was also trying to capture birds in flight.

He said the next thing he knew a police man walked across the park and started questioning him in front of about 20 other parents and children.

The concerned father said: “He basically said that someone had called the police because someone had taken photos in the play park.

“He asked me what I was doing and why was I taking photos.

“He was very polite. He asked to look at my photos on my camera. He then realised I was telling the truth.”

The Sussex dad said he does not blame police but thinks people should show more common sense before people call police.

He said: “Nobody wants people taking pictures illegally and we all want to protect our kids but you have to keep a lid on it a little bit and keep a sense of proportion.

“I felt completely isolated and humiliated. I will go back to that park. People will think that’s the guy who police came and spoke to.

“My wife could not believe it. It’s just sad.”

A Sussex Police spokesman said: “This incident was reported to police as a suspicious man taking photos of a minor. We have a duty to investigate. An officer spoke to the man and checked his camera and was satisfied it was his son and no offence had taken place.”

For the full story see today's Argus.