A toddler found a syringe and what is thought to be crack cocaine lying on the floor of a McDonald’s toilet.

His outraged mother, Sonia Adams, said the floor of the toilets at the restaurant in London Road, Brighton, was dusted with the substance.

Her three-year-old, Harvey, had been about to pick up the exposed syringe when Mrs Adams saw what he was about to do.

According to customers, staff had been told half an hour earlier that the needle and a “wrap” of the drug were lying on the toilet floor but had done nothing.

Mrs Adams, 28, said: “He went in there for a Happy Meal but he could have left with hepatitis.

“If I had been one second slower he could have pricked himself with that needle.

“This is a family restaurant. There is no place for this.”

The incident happened at about 1.30pm on Wednesday, November 9, after Mrs Adams had taken her son for lunch.

Mrs Adams said she was shocked to learn that only the disabled toilets are locked.

She said: “If there is a problem with drug addicts then they should lock the doors. The priority should be to keep families safe.”

A McDonald’s spokeswoman said: “We apologise unreservedly to Ms Adams for her experience.

“Hygiene and safety is of paramount importance to us and our toilets are checked every 15 minutes.

“After investigating we are satisfied that our restaurant manager followed the correct procedure and dealt with the situation, immediately and effectively.”

For more on this story see today's Argus.

The Argus: Daily Echo on Facebook - facebook.com/southerndailyecho Like us on Facebook