A CRYSTAL Palace fan has been banned from football matches for three years for hurling homophobic abuse at Albion supporters.

Mark Kentfield slurred “wait until you come to Selhurst, you queer *****” to a group of some 500 Seagulls fans before the heated affair between the two clubs at the Amex stadium last month.

The 41-year-old, of Duke Terrace, St Leonards, was caught on CCTV dishing out the abuse, Brighton Magistrates’ Court heard.

Kentfield, an administrative assistant, received a football banning order, which means he cannot attend any Palace match for the next three years.

If England or Palace play abroad, Kentfield must hand his passport into police days in advance to prevent him travelling.

When told about this previously, he said he hoped they play abroad but admitted it was unlikely.

He has been a season ticket holder for the past three or four years, and an Eagles fan since he was 11.

Homophobic Kentfield claims to be supportive of anti-racism and homophobia campaigns such as Kick It Out, and wore one of the group’s badges in court.

The Palace fan strayed from his group and began hurling abuse near Falmer train station, near the stadium.

Martina Sherlock, prosecuting, said it became clear to officers he was trying to antagonise Albion fans.

She added that fans of both clubs may have been deeply offended by Kentfield’s insults.

He pleaded guilty to using threatening, abusive or insulting words to cause harassment, alarm or distress.

When giving his plea to magistrate Ian Goodwin, he said: “Guilty, obviously, it was caught on CCTV.”

He was also given a fine of £450, which was increased by £150 due to the aggravating factor of the abuse being homophobic. Kentfield must also pay a surcharge of £45 along with costs of £85, taking the total to £580.

He must also surrender his passport to Hastings police station within the next three days.

Kentfield was one of four men charged in relation to crowd disorder surrounding the match on November 28.

The other three, Michael Shaw, Kamar Jalal and Michael O’Byrne had their cases adjourned.

The game, which ended 0-0, was marred by fan trouble, with some Palace fans setting off flares and bangers outside the ground before trying to force their way inside.