AN ALBION fan escaped a football banning order for abusing Crystal Palace supporters because of his job prospects.

Kamar Jalal swore at the away section of the Amex stadium during last month’s heated affair, sticking his middle finger up and making obscene gestures towards them.

The 30-year-old financial director, who quit his job due to reports of his charge, is looking to work abroad in either Europe or Dubai, Brighton Magistrates’ Court heard yesterday.

He was in the South Stand when he began making obscene gestures towards the travelling fans.

Jalal was spotted by a police officer who began watching him and claimed he was more interested in aggravating the away fans than watching the game.

Another officer caught him on camera committing the offence.

Martina Sherlock, prosecuting, said Jalal noticed the officer watching him and wrapped a scarf over his face before abusing police.

Jalal, of the Savannahs in Langshott, Horley, pleaded guilty to using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour.

Magistrate Shirley Vening took into account his plea and his job prospects and chose not to impose a football banning order.

The conditions of such an order mean the offender cannot attend any football match in the UK for at least three years. In addition to that, whenever a British team or England play abroad, they must surrender their passport to police days before the match.

Ms Vening told Jalal: “We know that you have been very contrite about what you have done. You are trying to get work abroad and the conditions of this are very onerous.

“We are going to put trust in you.”

Jalal was given a 12-month conditional discharge and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

Palace fans heckled Jalal at his home in the aftermath of reports, and internet trolls forced him to close down all social media accounts.

Speaking to The Argus after the court case, Jalal said: “I became subject to a barrage of abuse, and closed all of my social media sites. They [Palace fans] got my phone number.

“I was remorseful from day one.

“I was not a threat to the police officers, I was a gentleman throughout the process.”

Jalal said he has done work with a number of charities over the past few years, and said the court case has affected his family life, work and relationship.

He added: “I made the decision to walk away from my job. It is something I can go back to.

“I am happy with the result.”

Jalal was one of six fans arrested for disorder in connection with the match on November 28.

Four of them were charged. Mark Kentfield, a Palace fan, received a three-year football banning order for homophobic abuse towards Albion fans. The other cases were adjourned until next week.