Voters in this week’s local elections will be required to show ID for the first time.

Ministers made the move to introduce mandatory photo ID in Britain earlier this year, despite concerns the move could disenfranchise voters, while there is little evidence of electoral fraud at polling stations.

Critics including Labour deputy leader Angela Rayner said it was an “outrage” that millions were being spent during a cost of living crisis on the “unnecessary” move which she fears could lock millions out of voting.

This week’s local elections in England will be the first elections in Britain where voter ID is required.

The Argus: This is everything you need to know about Voter ID ahead of Thursday's local elections (Getty)This is everything you need to know about Voter ID ahead of Thursday's local elections (Getty) (Image: Getty)

You’ll need one of the following types of photo ID to vote:

  • a UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • a driving licence issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands
  • a UK passport
  • a passport issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country
  • a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • a Blue Badge
  • a biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)
  • a national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • a Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
  • a Voter Authority Certificate
  • an Anonymous Elector’s Document

You can also use one of the following travel passes as photo ID when you vote:

  • an older person’s bus pass
  • a disabled person’s bus pass
  • an Oyster 60+ card
  • a Freedom Pass
  • a Scottish National Entitlement Card (NEC)
  • a 60 and Over Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
  • a Disabled Person’s Welsh Concessionary Travel Card
  • a Northern Ireland concessionary travel pass

You will only need to show one form of photo ID. It needs to be the original version and not a photocopy.

You can still use your photo ID if it's out of date, as long as it looks like you.

The name on your ID should be the same name you used to register to vote.

If you don't have an accepted form of photo ID you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a Voter Authority Certificate.

You need to register to vote before applying for a Voter Authority Certificate.

Defending its decision to push ahead with voter ID, a Government spokesman said: “We cannot be complacent when it comes to ensuring our democracy remains secure.

“Everyone eligible to vote will have the opportunity to do so and 98% of electors already have an accepted form of identification.

“Photo identification has been used in Northern Ireland elections since 2003 and we’re working closely with the sector to support the rollout and funding the necessary equipment and staffing.”

Voters in England will need to show ID to vote in Local elections, Police and Crime Commissioner elections, UK parliamentary by-elections and recall petitions.

In Scotland and Wales, it will only apply to UK Parliamentary by-elections and recall petitions, and Police and Crime Commissioner elections in Wales.

You will not need ID to vote in Senedd elections, Scottish Parliament elections, or local council elections in either country.

From October, you will need ID to vote in UK General Elections across all three countries.

Voter ID laws have been in place in Northern Ireland since 1985, with photo ID being required since 2003.