TODAY’s Timeout focuses on the evolution of Churchill Square, Brighton’s popular shopping mall.

A scheme for creating a new shopping centre next to Western Road was first conceived in the 1930s.

It was envisaged by architect Sir Hugh Casson who had been responsible for organising the Festival of Britain.

It was later built by architects Russell Diplock and Associates.

Earlier in the course of plans for the shopping complex, there was a proposal to demolish The Grand hotel but this idea was soon rejected following a public inquiry.

The plans were given ministerial approval in 1963 and the first shop, Blackburns Menswear, opened in 1967.

Part of the land needed for the initial development was already empty having been cleared in 1938 and again in 1957/8.

An early 19th century street lined with cobbled buildings, Grenville Place, was demolished to make way for the shopping complex.

The centre was fully unveiled in 1968 but many locals were left disappointed as only half of the development was finished by this point.

It wasn’t until 1972 that the rest of the complex opened.

More than 70 shops occupied the site including branches of supermarket chains such as Tesco, Sainsbury’s and the Co-op.

Some of these moved further along Western Road but British Home Stores lasted a lot longer – it remained until its controversial closure a year ago after going into administration.

But Churchill Square, named after the wartime Prime Minister who was a freeman of Brighton, was only around for 30 years before it was decided to demolish it and redevelop what was a bleak, concrete area.

Brighton Council promoted a redevelopment by selling the freehold to Standard Life.

The new phase of work started in 1996 and as one of the biggest shopping centres in Sussex, the redeveloped square was much more successful.

Churchill Square has attracted millions of visitors since it reopened in 1998.