The future of Albion No.1 David Stockdale is up in the air.

Stockdale and his representatives rejected an initial new contract offer from the Seagulls.

An improved deal remains on the table for the 31-year-old Yorkshireman.

Stockdale’s three-year contract expires next month.

The former Fulham shot-stopper has been linked with Chelsea, West Ham and his home city club Leeds in recent weeks.

He has been a pivotal figure in Albion’s promotion to the Premier League this season.

Stockdale kept 20 out of 21 clean sheets as the Seagulls finished runners-up to Newcastle, conceding 40 goals, the joint-best defensive record with the champions.

He fuelled fears among fans he might be leaving with messages on social media yesterday morning after Jack Grealish’s late shot past him in Sunday’s closing 1-1 draw at Aston Villa allowed Newcastle to pinch top spot.

Stockdale said via Twitter: “Gutted to go out like that. Big thank you to all my team-mates and staff. @BenJamesRoberts for everything. Thank you to all the fans.”

Stockdale also posted on Instagram a picture with goalkeeping coach Ben Roberts and back-up keepers Niki Maenpaa, Christian Walton and Casper Ankergren.

He wrote: “Thanks to these boys for the support and competition you’ve provided.”

Loading

#GKUNION Thanks to these boys for the support and competition you've provided. Thank you boss @benjamesroberts for everything and improving me and a gk and person. Much love keepers..

View on Instagram

Boss Chris Hughton told The Argus last month he is hopeful Stockdale will stay and said “any speculation is understandable”.

Stockdale’s Finland international understudy Maenpaa is also out of contract next month.