Stand-in Crawley boss Filipe Morais fancies a job in coaching or management.

But he is no rush to hang up his boots and step up.

The former Oldham winger took joint caretaker charge of Reds as they lost 2-1 away to his old club.

Morais and Smith were in joint charge after Harry Kewell and Warren Feeney moved on to Notts County.

But, as the man with the coaching badges, Morais took a prominent role.

Crawley hope to make a permanent appointment quickly and Jay Saunders, who recently left Maidstone, has been linked with the post.

Tottenham’s under-21s are at Broadfield tomorrow in the Checkatrade Trophy, for which Morais and Smith remain in charge, and Reds have a League Two game at leaders Lincoln City on Saturday.

Morais will learn lessons from a challenging afternoon at Boundary Park, whatever happens next.

Both he and Smith played the full 90 minutes as Reds were sunk by a last-gasp goal from Sam Surridge.

Morais told the Argus: “It was an experience. I’ve done my badges and everything like that.

“In terms of training and getting the squad organised, we kept to the same as has served us well.

“It’s difficult when you are out there as a player and you are trying to look at the team at the same time.

“That is where it does get tricky, “But I felt we could not have done much more in terms of performance.

“You can only do what you can do.

“We are trying to help the club out in this short period.

“I definitely want to go on to coach or manage after I’ve finished playing.

“I love coaching. I have had an academy in Bradford for a few years.

“I’m delighted I did that so early in my career because I think it has stood me in good stead.

“I’m so thankful to the Irish FA, where I did my course.

“I’ll complete my A licence next year.

“What you learn there helps but I have a lot of years left playing yet.”

Kewell was absent last week as he finalised his move to bottom-of-the-table County.

Reds’ plans for the weekend did not become clear until late in the week.

Morais said: “We tried to keep it all quite similar because we got a good result last week (the 3-2 home win over Bury).

“We wanted to keep the continuity. There were certain things we tried to do in more detail, like working on set-pieces as much as we could.

“We were certainly well organised. I thought we deserved at least a point.”

Although Morais has done his badges, he knew addressing team-mates in a highly-charged changing room would be a different challenge.

He said: “It can be daunting. Fortunately that is something which comes quite naturally to me, stepping up and looking to lead by example.

“Because I’ve done the badges, it’s probably a little bit more natural for me but we both did our bit.

“We have got a great group here. Everyone helped out.”

Former Albion full-back Rob Hunt teed up Gevaro Nepomuceno with an inch-perfect low cross to put Oldham ahead in the ninth minute.

Dannie Bulman levelled midway through the first half, pouncing from close range after keeper Daniel Iversen failed to hold a low angled drive from Ollie Palmer.

Iversen atoned later in the first half by saving a tame Palmer penalty after Ashley Nathaniel-George had been tripped just inside the box by Christopher Missilou.

Surridge scrambled home the winner at the far post with an ungainly finish from a low cross as he tangled with Mark Connolly.

Reds lost Romain Vincelot to injury on 21 minutes with new signing Bondz Ngala taking his place.

Former Albion forward Chris O’Grady led the attack for the hosts.