Crawley boss Gabriele Cioffi wants two more signings to help kick off 2019.

But a brilliant win with ten men has given the Reds boss a timely lift as he looks to help his side back up the League Two table.

Luke Gambin scored twice in the second half as Crawley made light of Joe McNerney’s 31st-minute straight red card to earn only a second league success in 11 matches.

Cioffi said he plans to appeal against the dismissal of McNerney, the left-sided of three centre-backs, for a foul on former Hastings midfielder Harry Pell.

Crawley confirmed the signing of 19-year-old non-league goal-getter Ricky German on a three-year deal (pictured below) at half-time.

The Argus:

A couple more new faces will follow if Cioffi, who says he enjoys the support of his bosses despite the recent poor run, has his way.

He told The Argus: “We need some new blood. New players will increase competition. I have asked for players in two solid positions.

“I have had constructive conversations (with the club). I have never felt negative pressure from them. I have always felt positive pressure.

“Obviously there is pressure because the things we have done is something you can’t hide from.”

He added: “It’s a good squad – but a bit unbalanced in my opinion.”

Losing McNerney for four games (this bieng his second dismissal of the season) would not help that and Cioffi felt the red card shown by Andy Davies for a late challenge in midfield was harsh.

He said: “From the bench it was a yellow – absolutely.

“I’ve watched the replay and it is not a tackle with intention on the leg. It is a tackle to win the ball back. I think we will appeal.”

Reds are delighted with the addition of German, who has hit 28 goals in 21 games for Southern League Hendon this season to attract EFL attention.

And a win secured against the odds will give them a massive boost after they slipped from the thick of the play-off race to 18th place.

It was a remarkable result and one which seemed to have got an increasingly disillusioned fanbase back on side.

At half-time, it appeared the best Crawley could hope for was a point.

But they gave goalkeeper Glenn Morris superb protection as Colchester pushed forward and Gambin, on loan from Luton, was their matchwinner.

He went on a run from halfway, taking him to the left edge of the box, from where he drilled a low shot across keeper Rene Gilmartin and inside the far post on 61 minutes.

Former Albion under-23s wideman Brennan Dickenson was among the players thrown on by Colchester in the second half but they lacked quality in attack.

In fact, their best effort came against 11 men, when Luke Norris headed against the bar after Ryan Jackson was allowed far too much space from which to cross.

A remarkable storyline was completed going into added time.

Colchester went down to ten as defender Frankie Kent was shown a second yellow for pulling back Panutche Camara just outside the box.

Camara punched the air in triumph when he saw his opponent was being dismissed.

The Argus:

Then Gambin drilled home low from the free-kick to really get the celebrations started.

Crawley: Morris; Sesay, Francomb, Connolly, McNerney, Doherty; Grego-Cox, Camara, Payne (Bulman 78); Gambin, Poleon. Subs: Mersin, Nathaniel-George, Maguire, Allarakhia, N’Gala.

Attendance: 2.765 (456 away).