Eddie Jones says that England are going to be "kicking stones for four years" following their comprehensive World Cup final defeat against South Africa.

England's 32-12 loss to an inspired Springboks side equalled the second-heaviest defeat in Rugby World Cup final history.

There was no fairytale finish for Eastbourne-born Joe Marler as he finished with a medal for second place but head coach Jones had no complaints on a day when South Africa dominated every critical area - notably the scrum - and took their chances.

Fly-half Handre Pollard kicked 22 points, while wings Makazole Mapimpi and Cheslin Kolbe scored late tries to destroy England's bid for a first world title since 2003.

"You can have the most investigative debrief of your game and you still don't know what was wrong," Jones said. "It just happens sometimes.

"It's not a good day for it to happen.

"We are going to be kicking stones for four years, and it is hard to kick stones for four years, so we are massively disappointed.

"At the same time, I have got great admiration for what the players did. I can't tell you much how much respect I have got for them.

"That wasn't the outcome we expected. They were worthy winners, they played very well and were too good for us on the day.

"We struggled to get into the game, and when we had opportunities we didn't take them. It was just one of those days when South Africa were too good for us."

England lost prop Kyle Sinckler to a third-minute head injury, and his replacement Dan Cole was given a torrid time by opposite number Tendai Mtawarira.

Marler was introduced after the break but the Springboks dominated the setpieces.

"He is recovering and will go through all the head injury protocol," Jones said, of Sinckler.

"You have 23 guys, you lose a guy early and you have got to be able to cover it. I don't think that was a significant factor in the game.

"We got in trouble in the scrum - we struggled particularly in the first-half.

"We made some personnel changes in the second-half and got back into it, but South Africa for some reason were too strong for us.

"We didn't think that was going to be the case going into the game, but that's how it happened. That's what happens in rugby sometimes.

"You have got to be able to break the game open a little bit, you have got to be able to stay in the fight, and then when you get the opportunities to break the game open you have to break the game open.

"I thought we stayed in the fight pretty well, and 50 minutes into the game we were in with a chance, but we failed to take our opportunities. They took their opportunities, and that was the difference n the game."