Albio suffered more Goodison Park disappointment today - despite a late push for a point.

The Seagulls lost 1-0 to Everton at a venue where they have never won.

Leandro Trossard hit the bar and Glenn Murray twice went close as they chased an equaliser.

Richarlison, who scored twice in this fixture last season, produced a super finish to score the 38th-minute winner.

Receiving the ball with his back to goal, he turned and curled his shot to perfection just inside Maty Ryan’s far post.

Everton were worth their half-time lead.

They should probably have had an early penalty after Theo Walcott got in behind Lewis Dunk, who was playing on the left of a three.

Walcott was pulled back by Dunk but got his shot away, with Ryan saving.

Video ref Michael Oliver took a long look but, to the disbelief of home fans, ruled no penalty.

Albion offered little with a volley over by Alireza Jahanbakhsh the closest they came to adding to discernible nerves at times among the home support.

They might have levelled after the break when Trossard, well found by Shane Duffy, cut in from the left and shot against the crossbar.

Ryan kept Albion in the contest with two fine saves from Dominic Calvert-Lewin, one a close range block and the second a diving parry.

Everton thought they had wrapped up the points when they scrambled the ball home from a corner but VAR confirmed handball in the melee by Calvert-Lewin.

Instead Albion almost levelled as Jordan Pickford dived to his right to parry a header from Murray, one of the three Albion subs who had been introduced.

Murray almost nicked a point late on as he poked the ball wide on the stretch after good work by Neal Maupay.

Everton: Pickford; Sidibe, Keane, Holgate, Digne (Mina 85); Davies, Sigurdsson; Walcott (Coleman 74), Richarlison, Bernard (Delph 72); Calvert-Lewin. Subs: Lossl, Baines, Schneiderlin, Kean.

Brighton: Ryan; Webster; Duffy, Dunk; Montoya (Gross 62), Stephens (Murray 72), Pröpper, Bernardo; Jahanbakhsh (Alzate 62), Trossard, Maupay. Subs: Button, Schelotto, March, Bissouma.

Referee: David Coote (Nottinghamshire). VAR: Michael Oliver.