Worthing manager Adam Hinshelwood was pleased with his side’s response as they beat Bowers and Pitsea 2-1 to move top of the Isthmian Premier League.

The Rebels bounced back from their first defeat of the season on Tuesday, by coming from behind to beat Bowers at home.

Worthing had an opportunity to take the lead in the 16th minute from the spot after Jasper Pattenden was brought down.

Ollie Pearce saw his spot-kick come off the upright.

Bowers then got a penalty a minute later after Cameron Tutt dragged down James Thomas.

Billy Knott scored despite Roco Rees getting a hand on the ball.

Worthing equalised in the 51st minute after Dayshonne Golding intercepted goalkeeper Lamar Joseph-Johnson pass and the ball fell to substitute Mo Diallo, who tapped into an empty net.

The Rebels scored the winner with five minutes left after James White’s clearance hit the shin of Diallo and went in.

Hinshelwood was pleased with his side’s reaction after their defeat in the week.

He said: “I thought we played really well.

“It was a good response from Tuesday night, which is exactly what we were after. I was delighted with the players’ application and determination.

“Roco made some good saves before half-time to keep us well within the game.

“We had a lot of chances but overall was a really good performance.

“Anyone who came to the game would have seen it like I did and we thoroughly deserved to get three points on the day.”

Diallo was the hero, scoring a brace after coming off the bench in the 21st minute and Hinshelwood felt he deserved credit for his performance.

He said: “Mo has worked hard in pre-season coming in early before training to do extra work.

“I just felt we needed to change something a little bit and put an extra player up top.

“So I brought the right-back off after 20 minutes, which gave us a better flow.

“Mo worked really hard after he came on and deserves all the plaudits”

Lewes got their first win of the season as they beat Margate 1-0 at the Dripping Pan.

The only goal of the game came in the 73rd minute after James Beresford’s cross was headed goalwards by Luke Blewden and deflected off Ben Swift before looping over Bailey Vose and into the net.

Rooks manager Hugo Langton felt the win was much anticipated.

He said: “It has been coming. Whilst the results haven’t been how we wanted the majority of the performances have been good.

“It was good to see everything come together and for the players to get the win.”