A number of Sussex’s batsman got starts, but could not convert them into big scores on day one of their LV=County Championship match against Lancashire at Hove.

Six of their batsman scored over 30 runs, but only two of those managed to convert their starts into half centuries, as they finished on 318-7 at the close of play.

Skipper Ben Brown won the toss and decided to bat.

Sussex made two changes to the side which were beaten by Yorkshire last week.

One of those was enforced with Sean Hunt picking up a side strain.

The other saw the County Championship’s leading wicket-taker and England hopeful Ollie Robinson rested.

Sussex suffered an early setback in the third over after Aaron Thomason, who had struggled off Tom Bailey’s opening over, went for a duck after being bowled by the 30-year-old seamer to leave the hosts 6-1.

Stiaan Van Zyl joined Haines at the crease and the pair showed their intent bringing up their 50 partnership off 71 balls.

Van Zyl then brought up his second half century of the season in 81 balls, which included eight fours and one six.

Haines followed him to his half century in 68 balls, as Sussex headed to lunch 110-1.

Lancashire did finally break made the breakthrough just half-an-hour after lunch as Saqib Mahmood found the edge of Haines’ bat and it went through into the hands of skipper and wicketkeeper Dane Villas.

That saw their 133 run partnership for the second wicket come to an end.

Van Zyl’s innings came to an end not long after as he cut a delivery from Liam Livingstone to former Sussex man Luke Wells at square-leg, meaning he had to go for 79 off 145 balls.

Midway through the afternoon session play had to be stopped for a few minutes, after a bouncer from seamer Danny Lamb struck Tom Clark on the head, with part of his helmet coming off in the process.

He was checked over by medical staff for any signs of concussion but luckily, he was fine to carry on with the only damage being to helmet, which was replaced.

There was an eventful end to the session as Clark survived a close run-out call from Lamb’s throw which went to the boundary in overthrows.

However, the very next ball Clark was on his way back to the dressing room after being trapped lbw for 30 by Bailey, to leave Sussex 197-4 at tea.

Rawlins came to the crease, needing a good innings having only managed 28 runs in his first five innings of the season.

The 23-year-old certainly showed his intent early on as he came down the ground and sent spinner Matthew Parkinson for a couple of big sixes.

However, after putting on a partnership of 62 with Brown, Rawlins went for 42 as he lofted the ball to Wells.

He smashed his bat down against the ground in anger as he failed to convert his great start into a big score.

Lancashire took the new ball and four overs later Brown fell four runs short of his first half century of the season, after he trapped lbw by Lamb.

He like Rawlins was upset with himself for a soft dismissal.

Meaker, who had impressed with the bat in his last match at Glamorgan, came in but only lasted just 13 balls and made just seven runs, before he also went lbw but to Bailey, leaving Sussex 292-7.

Spinner Jack Carson came in to join Garton and the pair on 26 runs in just 6.3 overs to leave the hosts 318-7 at the close of play.

Garton (30 not out) and Carson (13) not out will be hoping to help Sussex push on and try and get themselves up to 350/400 in order to put pressure on Lancashire and give their bowlers a nice total to work with.